Prologue: Growing to the Truth

June 30th, 2013.

Master Splinter knew his four sons had snuck onto the roof of the building directly above them. He didn't mind- for now. When they would get back, he would immediately put them into the Ha'shi. But he decided to let them be adventurous for this night.

The four brothers were on the rooftop. Leonardo- being the amazing older brother he is- was doing some training games that Michelangelo wanted to play. Raphael was just giving snide comments from the sidelines. Donatello was sitting on the very edge, just looking at the stars.

Donatello always had a love for astronomy and was amazed at having the chance to finally see the stars for real. He stood and jumped to the next rooftop, unnoticed by his brothers. He kept going, following the different patterns of the stars.

He stopped several blocks away, just gazing like a kid in a candy store.

He didn't hear the gasp from behind him. He only noticed the other being on the rooftop when a flowerpot hit the back of his shell. He cried out and turned around, thinking it was one of his brothers.

He was wrong. It was a human boy.

"What... You...?"

Donnie got defensive, holding his bo staff between them.

"Don't hurt me, please," the boy pleaded, putting his hands up. Donnie looked at him and saw just another teenager, just another kid. He put down his bo staff.

"I'm sorry." The boy nodded.

"What... Are you?" he asked. "And how did you get here?"

"I'm a... Mutated turtle. I was on a roof a few blocks down but wanted to explore. It's my first time seeing the city..." Donnie trailed off, knowing he was talking too much.

The boy looked at Donnie curiously. He took his spiraling curls away from his face and tied them at the base of his neck.

"What's your name?" he asked Donnie.

"Um... Donatello..."

"Like the sculptor?" The boy asked, almost smugly. Donnie shrugged.

"I guess so. My brothers and I are all named after Renaissance artists," Donnie said.

He clapped a hand over his mouth, now really knowing he said too much.

"There are more of you?" the boy asked.

"Just four of us. But please- we're not supposed to be out, because our dad doesn't want..." Donnie put his hands to his face.

"You're not supposed to be seen by people?" the boy asked, seeming to put 2 and 2 together.

"Yeah..."

"Gotcha. This will be our secret." Donnie looked at the boy, who nodded. Donnie looked to his feet.

"I can't make a secret with someone if I don't know their name," Donnie said coyly. The boy chuckled.

"Brandon Carter, age 15. A pleasure to meet you, Donatello," he said, offering his hand for Donnie to shake.