Chapter 12: Hope for Pairs

Brandon's eyes opened wide. His body flinched at the sudden change of light. His chest was incredibly sore. He panted for breath.

Donnie took the defibrillator pads off of Brandon's chest, relieved. They quickly took him into their arms. Brandon remained frozen for a moment, confused at the sudden contact, then smiled and wrapped his arms around Donnie's neck.

"You came for me..." Brandon whispered. Donnie held him tighter.

"Of course I did," Donnie said. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know," Brandon said. "I became doubtful when I shouldn't have. I let my mind get to me."

Donnie loosened their grip on Brandon so they could look into his eyes.

"I would never leave you," Donnie said. "I love you as much as my heart can and more."

Brandon's own heart warmed.

"I swear to god, you're a helpless romantic," Brandon smiled.

"So what if I am?" Donnie asked as they blushed slightly. They pressed a kiss to Brandon's forehead.

"I think you missed your target," Brandon pouted. Donnie chuckled and kissed him.

Logan pulled Brandon away from Donnie.

"Brandon... Stop it," Logan said, holding Brandon's shoulder with one hand and pointing at Brandon's chest with the other.

"Stop what?" Brandon asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Scaring me!" Logan asked, pulling Brandon to his chest. "You have a habit of doing it and I don't appreciate it." Brandon chuckled.

"Happy to see you, too."

Donnie froze for a second. Brandon noticed and pulled away from Logan as Donnie frantically searched their pockets to find what they were looking for. They sighed when their newest project was still in their pocket, and still in its box.

"What's that?" Brandon asked curiously.

"You know that project I've been working on for the past few weeks?" Donnie asked, holding the box in their pocket.

"Yeah, the one you've been perfecting," Brandon said, smiling slightly.

"Well, I just..."

Donnie took out their newest project and held the box, looking directly at Brandon.

"When you got taken... I realized exactly how protective I am of you. I love you more than life itself, and you know that... All of me loves all of you. You're my end and my beginning; even when I lose I'm winning."

Donnie opened the box and took out the ring that laid inside.

"Brandon, will you marry me?" Donnie asked, their chest full of hope and fear. Brandon looked at Donnie, mouth open slightly.

"You mean it?" Brandon asked, almost in disbelief.