Chapter 11: Just Open Your Eyes

Donnie opened their eyes slowly. They heard sirens in the distance. They blinked the dust out of their eyes, still holding Brandon tightly to their plastron.

Brandon.

Donnie cupped the back of Brandon's head and used their strongest effort to push their way out of the rubble. Brandon was limp in their arms, probably all scratched up from the rubble.

Donnie's shell moved debris aside and they were finally able to breathe cleaner air. They sat on the rubble surrounding them and adjusted Brandon so he was virtually sitting on their lap. They put their goggles over their eyes and scanned over Brandon's body.

No Signs of Life.

"No..." Donnie muttered. They scanned Brandon again.

No Signs of Life.

"No!" Donnie choked back their cries as they tried to figure out what to do.

Donnie took off their goggles and pulled their legs out of the debris so they could stand, taking Brandon with them. They looked around, trying to figure out where they were.

"Donnie!" Donnie turned and saw Logan running toward the debris. He started climbing over pieces, but Leo pulled him back. Raph and Mikey came up behind them.

"I'll go," Leo said. Donnie sighed slightly in relief- their brothers were okay.

Leo easily scaled the debris to his sibling. Donnie only took a couple of careful steps before Leo attacked them with a hug. Leo sighed deeply.

"Don't scare me like that..." Leo whispered.

"I know. But if you could move," Donnie said.

Leo let go of Donnie and loomed confused.

"I don't want to hurt him any more than he probably is," Donnie said, continuing to walk over the debris.

Leo watched them, confused about why Donnie risked their life for this one person who looked practically dead when they arrived.

Logan anxiously watched Donnie approach, knowing that the person in their arms was Brandon. When they stepped off the debris, Logan immediately approached them.

"Bran, oh god..." Logan whispered, only now seeing Brandon's state.

"I need a clear area- I'm going to have to use a defibrillator..." Donnie said, taking Brandon away from the building and into the open area.

From where they were, they saw April, Casey, and Vern talking to the ten remaining survivors and comforting them. Donnie was glad they made it out alive.

Donnie gently placed Brandon onto the ground. They checked their tech and found a couple of functioning electric pads. They hooked the pads up to the battery of an old electric bike.