Chapter 1: A Blooming Flower

June 1, 2016.

"Hey, I know your birthday is today," Donnie said when they got to the roof of Brandon's apartment. "Well, technically yesterday since it's 12:30, and it's now June." Brandon chuckled.

"Yeah," Brandon said, honored that Donnie remembered. "We got back from dinner at 11:30. Well, we got there late because I had a haircut."

"Let me see?" Donnie asked.

Brandon chuckled. He took the hoodie off of his head. The dark spiraling curls that once reached the bottom of his shoulder blades now reached the middle of his neck, pouring from the top half of his head. The bottom half was shaved.

"Undercut; good choice," Donnie smiled. "And platinum blonde highlights?" Or is that white?"

"White highlights," Brandon said. "Feel it- it's fluffy." Donnie ran their hand over the curls. Their eyes widened.

"Woah... That is fluffy..."

"Right?"

"Anyways. Who went out to dinner with you?" Donnie asked.

"Logan, his mom, and I went to Chazz Palminteri's with his aunt and her new husband." Brandon rolled his eyes. Donnie chuckled.

"Which one is this? Three, four?"

"Four," he chuckled.

"How is he? Good, bad, loathes anything you do?" Donnie asked. Brandon rolled his eyes.

"He's cool- and rich as hell. They gave me a car and offered to pay for my top surgery in a month."

"An entire car? And your surgery?" Donnie asked.

"Yeah, an entire car and my surgery." Brandon smiled. Donnie had a gut feeling of dread.

"What kind of car?"

"Tesla roadster. Red," Brandon said. "I've always wanted one, so I've started saving but they bought it for me instead."

Donnie nodded, understanding the feeling of dread- the gift they brought was way too basic. They hid it at the bottom of their astronomy bag.

"What's that?" Brandon asked, noticing the movement. Donnie shrugged.

"Just a thing," they whispered, stopping their movement once they put the small box at the bottom of their astronomy bag.

"¿Qué clase de cosas?" he asked, noticing the saddened look on the turtle's face. Donnie started to fluster.

"I... You, I- it's just..." They stopped and took a deep breath. "I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I... My brothers and I are going on a mission tonight, and I have to... Be back..."

Donnie adjusted the bag on their shoulder and smiled weakly at Brandon.

"I'll see you around. Probably this Saturday so we can go to the museum," Donnie whispered. Brandon was utterly confused.

"What do you mean? I- sorry. What do you mean?" Brandon asked. "I... You brought your astronomy bag. You only bring it when you don't have missions so you can stargaze."