Chapter 5: Tiger Within

Brandon was able to stand without depending on the restraints for support. He still couldn't lift his head, but that was a work in progress.

He glanced in front of his cage. Baxter was pacing in front of it.

"You're awake," Baxter said as he stopped pacing. Without looking, Brandon could tell that Baxter was smirking. "Perfect."

"Why is that 'perfect?'" Brandon asked, his teeth gritting in his mouth. "I'd rather be dead."

"That can be arranged-"

"No, Baxter," a woman said. Brandon recognized her as Karai. "We need these two together. Without her, he won't comply."

A growl emerged from the back of Brandon's throat.

"Oh, she's feisty, isn't she, Karai?" Baxter smiled.

"Is the injection reacting well with her genes, then?" Karai asked.

"Indeed it is," Baxter confirmed.

Brandon's heart pounded harder than it ever had before.

Another growl escaped his throat. Karai approached his containment unit.

"I wonder what animal genes lie beneath her human DNA..." Karai thought out loud, tapping the glass of Brandon's containment unit.

"I feel she'd be a predator. Don't you think?" Baxter asked Karai.

Baxter got closer to the machinery.

"Yes, indeed. She growls like one," Karai responded. Brandon snapped.

"Call me 'her' one more time-"

Brandon's blood drained so fast, he never finished his sentence.

♦️♦️♦️

Donnie practically fell off the bike. They pulled over and took the key out of the ignition.

They closed their eyes as tight as they could.

They checked their phone once again.

Brandon's Ring Has Been Disconnected From a Heartbeat.

Donnie couldn't stop the contents of their stomach resurfacing onto the pavement in front of them.

♦️♦️♦️

Logan looked at Brandon's pale skin. He looked almost dead, had he not been breathing. Baxter gave Brandon a shot of the injection given immediately after he passed out.

"He'll be okay, right, Stockman?" Logan asked, starting to regret his decision. Baxter looked up from his notes and nodded. "I want to hear you say it. He will be okay, right?"