The Message

Liana was tossed around, finally being led to Saw. She kept a straight face and maintained eye contact.

"Kestrel?" he asked almost as if he were surprised.

"Hello Saw, it's been a while."

"Are we not still friends?"

"The last time I saw you, you gave me a knife and a loaded blaster and told me to wait until daylight."

"I knew you would be safe," was his only reply.

"I was only fourteen," Liana burst out. "You dumped me!"

"People were starting to get suspicious of you, you had no past before joining. They would-they would figure out something, use you as a hostage." He paused, realizing something. "It's a trap."

"What?"

"The pilot, the message, the alliance. Did they-did they send you...to kill me?"

"They think I'm Jyn Erso, that I'll be able to speak to Galen Erso. Get the message. But I don't even know if I'm her, I just want to go to Alderaan."

"You care not about the cause?"

Liana scoffed, "The cause? All it's ever brought me is pain."

"You can stand to see the Imperial flag reign across the galaxy?"

"It's not a problem if you don't look up." Saw considered her words and turned around.

"There is something I need to tell you...and show you."

He lead her toward a holopad and pressed a button. An image of a man popped up. Liana creased her eyebrows trying to remember where she'd seen him.

"Your father."

"What?"

"I never told you, to keep you safe." Liana looked at him in bewilderment. "You are...Jyn Erso. There is no point in lying to you. You and her are one and the same."

"That's...my father?" Saw nodded.

"...Perhaps there's a chance to explain myself and, though I don't dare hope for too much, a chance for Jyn, if she's alive, if you can possibly find her to let her know that my love for her has never faded and how desperately I've missed her. Jyn, my Stardust, I can't imagine what you think of me. 

"When I was taken, I faced some bitter truths. I was told that, soon enough, Krennic would have you as well. As time went by, I knew that you were either dead or so well hidden that he would never find you. I knew if I refused to work, if I took my own life, it would only be a matter of time before Krennic realized he no longer needed me to complete the project. 

"So I did the one thing that nobody expected: I lied. I learned to lie. I played the part of a beaten man resigned to the sanctuary of his work. I made myself indispensable, and all the while I laid the groundwork of my revenge. We call it the Death Star. There is no better name. And the day is coming soon when it will be unleashed. I've placed a weakness deep within the system. A flaw so small and powerful, they'll never find it.

"But, Jyn. Jyn, if you're listening My beloved, so much of my life has been wasted. I try to think of you only in the moments when I'm strong because the pain of not having you with me Your mother. Our family. The pain of that loss is so overwhelming I risk failing, even now. It's just so hard not to think of you. Think of where you are. My Stardust. 

"Saw, the reactor module, that's the key. That's the place I've laid my trap. It's well hidden and unstable, one blast to any part of it will destroy the entire station.

"You'll need the plans, the structural plans for the Death Star to find the reactor. I know there's a complete engineering archive in the data vault at the Citadel Tower on Scarif. Any pressurized explosion to the reactor module will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the entire station..."

Liana couldn't believe what she was hearing, she was Jyn Erso, really Jyn Erso. Her father loved and missed her. She sank to the floor as the earth around her shook.

She wasn't very sure what happened after that. Cassian had come in, they had left Saw. And now she was back in the U-Wing with three more people than before.

Jedha was gone.