chapter 20

Somethings are best left unknown, digging deep for certain truths may leave us completely shattered and broken

'Hi mom '

'Hello princess, how are you?'

'I'm fine.......just wanted to hear your voice' i lied knowing it the only I could get the truth without making myself too obvious.

'Huhnn.....that so sweet of you' I heard a rustling sound from the background.
'Thanks for checking up on me'

'Off course I have too, you're my mom. So have you taken care of the emergency '

'Yeah........' she drawls
'I'll be back tomorrow ' she adds almost immediately.

'Okay then, please get me kilishi, I heard Abuja kilishi are the best'
I purposely said that to get a reaction from her, to see if she'll admit she's not in Abuja.

'Kilishi? O...okay princess, I'll try and get it'

'Thanks mom....... bye, see you tomorrow'

'Bye dear.....' I cut the call.
I didn't know what reaction I was expecting but she seems quiet normal throughout the conversation which leaves me feeling stupid.

Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe the lady I saw wasn't my mom but her look alike? I mean...... why would she have to lie about her whereabouts? .

I was pacing round my room, anxiously awaiting Soma's return so I could make my final confirmation.
Even if I come up with a thousand excuse that the lady I saw wasn't mom, I can't deny the fact the car they arrived in was acually mom's car, the particular one she drove to the airport on the morning of her departure.

My phone beeps with a new chat from Afra

My dad is so angry with me...... can you believe he grounded me, and it all thanks to that Gold digger

I dropped the phone back on my bed with a sigh after reading her chat

Seems I'm not the only one going through a hard time

Left to me, the older man's anger is justified. He had planned a family outing with all of them, fixed for today in other to create a good relationship between his kids and his wife to be and erase all the bad blood but Afra had left the house very early and refuse to show up at the appointed venue despite being fully aware and informed about it.

I didn't bother to reply her chat because she won't take my sincere opinion lightly, Ashley and I both agree that was a wrong thing to do but she had refused to see reasons and I'm so sure she refused to apologise to her father as well

Hence! Prompting his anger.

About 30 minute later when I had fallen asleep on my study chair waiting for her, Soma finally arrived back home with her bag full to the brime with "goodies"