chapter 70

We have been sitting for almost ten minutes without saying a single word to each other, I was lost in my thoughts and he's clearly trying to give me the space and time to gather my thoughts together.

When I picked his call earlier, it took just a word from me for him to detect something was wrong even though I tried my possible best to sound normal, he absolutely didn't buy it.

Philip is one people who naturally have a sixth sense of everything, he could tell if something is wrong even when it seems so right and that why am still a bit suprised he doesn't know Ayo's truth......... he should have felt something is not right with him but then Ayo is a pro at acting all good and harmless.

He asked if I wanted to step out for fresh air and I welcomed the idea since the house is beginning to feel suffocated, in less than 20 minutes he came to pick me up

I sneaked out through the kitchen door to avoid running into anyone

We rode to the park on his bike despite the late hour and here we are enjoying companionable silence while sipping he drinks he was thoughtful enough to bring along on our night adventure.

'My cousin tried to rape me!'
I blurt it out before my brain could even process what I was saying.

He didn't give a reply to my statement which suprised me and made me angry as well.

I just told him something that would have made any sane person angry but he didn't react like I expected.

Though even I can't tell what sort of reaction I expected from him.

I turn to face him and only then did I notice his hardened expression......... he looked mad and angry which was just the reaction any one would have given

'Tell me everything'
And just like a compulsion........... I began narrating the whole Incident, starting from how we started as best cousins, how I found out he "loves" me, the incident that happened the night he tried to rape me and how Ikenna saved me.......... till what happened earlier in the day.

By the time I was done, I was weeping  so badly that I couldn't control my self, the next thing I knew, I was in his arms and he was hugging me tightly, consoling me while letting me cry it out.

I stopped after freeing up all my pent up emotions and finally getting a leverage, he hands me his hankerchief to clean my face.

'I'm sorry........ you must be thinking am a cry baby'
I said sniffing loudly.

'Not at all......... infact I think you're one of the strongest persons have ever met........ to have gone through all that at a young age and still keep silent for the sake of maintaining a family bond, it very rare to find someone who would ever think like that'

'No one would have believed me if I spoke up......... that more reason why I kept quiet'

'That's what you think, I admire your courage to have kept quiet and managed the whole affair without making it a big issue, though it is........... rape, or even attempted rape is nothing to joke about, he had no excuse to have acted that way with you and if he really cares like he claimed then he would never have thought to hurt you that bad'

'I never expected he could think to do that to me......... I trusted him, I trusted him so much and that was my biggest undoing, am always trusting the people I shouldn't, people who don't give a shit about me, they only care about themselves'