chapter 64

Monday

I had the longest night of my life and I earnestly prayed for it to come to an end. when the clock finally hits five in the morning, I climbed out of bed lifelessly and went about my routine with an half heart, truth is I didn't feel like going to school or anywhere else, I just wanted to lie in bed all day long but that definately not possible.

After my "talk" with Ikenna last night, I tries to reach Ashley to to avail and it got to a point when the call weren't even going through, I figured she must have learnt of Bobby 's death and I can't start to imagine the pain she must be going through.

'Amsie!!!'
I jolt back to reality as Aunty Emem pushed me away from the gas
'Wetin dey do you, how you let the plantain burn like this and you dey  inside kitchen" she scolds switching off the gas.

I started making breakfast of egg and planting for me and Tega then got carried away in my thought, not noticing the burning smell and smoke filling the kitchen while I was still standing right in front of it

'I......i'm sorry'
I mumbled feeling stupid and dumb wondering how I could have been so careless and carried away.

You should know by now that I pride myself on being organised and efficient, such silly mistake is something that is never accorded to me but last night news muddled my mind beyond repair

'No be matter of sorry be this....... you wan burn the house?' Aunt Emem rarely get angry but when she does it hard to contain......... after about five minutes of  thorough chastising with me not uttering another word in my defence and fear of making her spark the more, she left me to go dress up for school so as to avoid being late and got to the business of making something "edible" since even an animal will feel offended to be offered my burnt plantain.

Apart from by sullen mood, my day started really bad and depressing, my mind is hovering everywhere and I made sure to see Ikenna was still home before leaving for school so as to make sure he hadn't sneaked off in the dead of the night to do something stupid

You just can never tell with him

As uncle Jeff drew closer to school, I began to dread the state I'll find my best friend. I set out looking for her immediately but instead I found Afra first, waiting in front of the class room.

'Where is Ashley?'
Those where my first word to her

'Can't you see she's right on my head practising salsa for senior prom' she replies sarcastically, annoyed at the fact that I didn't bother to greet her first.

'Afra am serious! Where is she?' I add in an aspirated tone, she must have sense seriousness and dread from my voice.

'Did something happen? What's going on?'
She probes

'Just tell me where Ashley is first'

'She's not in school yet and her number isn't going through...........'

'Oh God!.......'

'Will you tell me what is going on or am I supposed to beat it out of you'
Afra threatens impatiently and I don't doubt it, you know by now how feral she can be.