Chapter VIII: Lake Manitoc

Will Carlton sat on his wood kitchen counter eating cereal. Bill Carlton, at the table by Will, was reading the weekly newspaper. Sophie came through the room, wearing her work out cloths. Her straight hair was a yellow color that was bright compared to her dark brown gaze. She kisses her father, Bill, on the cheek.

"Morning, Daddy."

"Morning, sweetheart."

Sophie went to get something out of the refrigerator and her brother says, "All these workouts, Soph, I don't know. Guys don't like buff girls."

"Yeah, well, girls don't like guys who still live at home."

Will drained the milk from his cereal bowl and slid off the counter. "Ha ha ha."

"Ha ha," she mocked back.

Sophie opened the door to leave before hearing her father say, not looking up her his paper, "Be careful."

"I will," she told him before closing the door.

Sophie walked down the trial and came to stand on the wooden dock, looking at the lake. Will watched from the window as she dived in. Although he'd never admit it, he envied his sister for her skills.

She swam and came up for air, a few feet from the edge of the dock. She looked around, a feeling crawling up her spine that she didn't quite understand. There was nothing wrong with the lake. She's swam in it tons of times.

She kept swimming, ignoring that cold chill on her back. She came up for air again and looked around some more; still nothing. Then suddenly, something or someone approached her from under the dark water and pulled her under. There were bubbles and then there was nothing.

*

There was a mostly empty plate in front of Deanna, who is circling obituaries in a newspaper. The ones she was finding uninteresting were being marked out with her blue ink pen. She finally circled one that actually sounded like a case.

CARLTON, SOPHIE -The Carlton family is sad to announce the death of their beloved daughter in a tragic swimming accident. Sophie Carlton, 18, was having her daily swim. . .

. . .Lake Manitoc, WI. . .

From another table, a very attractive waiter with toned arms and tan skin, whose name-tag says Wen, approached her. "Can I get you anything else?" he asked with a smile.

She looked up, the pen's end being chewed on. She was about to say something clever and cheesy when Sam flopped down in the chair by her. "Just the check, please," she said

"Sure thing," answers the waiter. Dammit, Sammy, Deanna silently cursed, looking at her sister with a piercing green glare for the cock-block.

After waiter Wen was gone, Deanna dropped her blonde head. "You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while," she told her, looking back up. Dean pointed to Wen walking away. He picking up a bussing bucket from another table, a vein or two poking out handsomely. "That's fun."

Sam gave Deanna a look. Deanna dropped the subject and passed over the scribbled on newspaper. "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever."

"Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Deanna. Other people just stop looking for them."

Deanna looked at her sister, mouth opening in surprise. "Something you want to say to me?"