Chapter I: Deanna

Stanford University, October 2005

"Sam, would you come on already? We were supposed to be there like fourteen minutes ago!" Jesse said as he put his belt on. He was a nurse for Halloween this year, bright red (laughably innacurrate) blood splattered across blue scrubs. He walk into the living room, leaving his girlfriend sitting on the bed.

Jesse was taller than Samantha even though she was pretty tall herself. He had short blond hair that seemed almost white when it was wet. His blue eyes were deep but bright at the same time, something Sam would never be able to achieve herself. Her eyes were too dark. Her eyes had too much brown, too much green.

When she came out of her bedroom, Jesse noted that Sam still wasn't wearing a costume. She was dressed simply, like usual, a plain tank-top and jeans. Her dark brown hair was cut in a bob with bangs that brushed her thin and expressive eyebrows.

Sam sighed dramatically when asked her why. "Do I have to?" she whined.

"Come on, babe. It'll be fun," Jesse argued with a smile on his lips. "So where's your costume, little missy?" he asked again.

Samantha scoffed at the question and shook her head, stubborn as always. "You know how I feel about Halloween."

*

Anna, already in her full zombified costume, came around a telephone pole and started down the sidewalk. She suddenly turned left, throwing out her arms in an attempt to startle her friends Jesse and Sam.

"Boo!" she screamed. Sam shook her head and smiled, Jesse grinning at the attempt.

"What do you think, huh?" asked Anna, gesturing to the outfit she wore.

"Seems a bit inaccurate, to be honest," Sam replied bluntly, prompting Jesse to full-body chuckle.

"Whatever," Anna grumbled, heading down the sidewalk. Jesse and Sam followed, Sam taking Jesse's hand.

"At least I wore a costume," Anna said. "If your sorry ass was trick-or-treating at my house, there would be no popcorn ball for you."

Sam glanced over her shoulder at her short friend (or maybe she was just average height). "You gave out popcorn balls?" she asked, Anna rolling her eyes.

They started across the street as Anna replied, "You could at least have gone as a slutty version of something. Slutty Dorothy, slutty Alice, slutty nurse-"

Jesse looked back at Anna. "Hey, that's my girlfriend your talking about. No slut-shaming."

"I didn't mean anything by it," Anna lied, smirking.

"What can I say?" Sam asked, shrugging. "I just never been a big fan of the whole thing."

"Never been a fan- what, what, are you a Communist? Who doesn't like Halloween?"

Sam, no longer smiling, looked away as they passed a Halloween decoration hanging from a fence: a skeleton in a black hooded cloak.

*

Jesse bought as many shots as he could carry back to the girls. They sat at one of the bar's side tables, under a dim but flashing strobe light. They were surrounded by naughty nurses and boys dressed like Justin Timberlake.

"So, here's to Sam," Jesse started his toast. "And her awesome LSAT victory."

"Alright, alright," his girlfriend interrupted. She put up her shot glass full of vodka. "It's not that big of a deal. Elle Woods did better."

"Elle Woods?" echoed Anna beside Sam. "You watched Legally Blonde?"

A sad smile erupted from her face. "Yeah," she half-whispered, before speaking louder and more confident. "My sister had made me watch it when it came out. She was really into movies."