Chapter IX: Dead In The Water

Bill sat a bench on the edge of his dock, staring over the lake like in the days before. "Mr. Carlton?" Sam called as she came up. He glanced up at the girls, Deanna close behind her little sister.

"We'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind." said Sam. "We're from the Department-"

"I don't care who you're with. I've answered enough questions today."

"Your son said he saw something in that lake," she pushed on, though. "What about you? You ever see anything out there? Mr. Carlton, Sophie's drowning and Will's death-we think there might be a connection to you or your family-"

"My children are gone. It's. . . it's worse than dying. Go away. Please."

The girls wait a hesitant second, but head back to the car. "What do you think?" asked Sam.

"Aw, I think the poor guy's been through hell. I also think he's not telling us something."

"So now what?" Deanna had gone still. "What is it?" Samantha asked her.

"Huh," Deanna was looking at the Carlton house, realizing for the first time that it was the house in Lucus' gift. She smiled to herself. "Maybe Bill's not the only one who knows something."

Deanna pulled out the picture Lucas had drawn for her to make sure. Being right, of course, Deanna looked over at Sam before holding up the crayon drawn picture.

*

"Sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea," Andrew told Deanna.

"I just need to talk to him," she pleaded. "Just for a few minutes."

"He won't say anything. What good's it gonna do?"

"Andrew," Sam interjected. "We think more people might get hurt. We think something's happening out there."

"No. My wife, the others, they just drowned. That's all."

"If that's what you really believe, then we'll go. But if you think there's even a possibility that something else could be going on here, please let me talk to your son."

Deanna's green gaze locked with Andrew's hazel one.

*

Lucas was coloring in his bedroom, toy soldiers standing around him. Deanna, Andrew, and Samantha approached the doorway together and sent Deann in. She smiled and crouched down by Lucas on the floor.

"Hey, Lucas. You remember me?"

Lucas had drawn two more pictures of a red bicycle. They were sitting on the carpet by Deanna. "You know, I, uh, I wanted to thank you for that last drawing. But the thing is, I need your help again." she said. He was drawing a person in the water now. Deanna opened the house picture up and put it down in front of the boy.

"How did you know to draw this? Did you know something bad was gonna happen? Maybe you could nod yes or no for me," Deanna suggested. He just kept coloring.

"You're scared. It's okay. I understand. See, when I was your age, I saw something real bad happen to my mom, and I was scared, too. I didn't feel like talking, just like you. But see, my mom- I know she wanted me to be brave. I think about that every day. And I do my best to be brave. And maybe, your mom wants you to be brave, too."

He dropped his crayola blue crayon and looked up at Deanna. He handed her a picture of a white church, a yellow house, and a boy with a blue baseball cap and red bicycle in front of a wooden fence.

"Thanks, Lucas."

*

The girls were in the Impala, Sam holding the church picture. "Andrew said the kid never drew like that till his mom died," Deanna told her.