Chapter XIV: Shape-Shifter

"It's okay. It's okay," the police officer said, trying to calm the other man down. He pointed to the room across the hall. The guy was shaken, like he'd had a brush with death. Well, he had after all.

"In there! In there!" he screamed. The S.W.A.T team moved to the other room. A woman was in there, trying to open a pair of doors leading to a balcony. The team watched her tense up and one of them stepped closer.

"Freeze! Don't move!" one yelled at her. All he could see was the blond hair on the back of her head but they'd been after her all night. "Drop the knife. Keep your hands where I can see 'em. Drop it! Hold it right there! Do it!"

The woman turned around. It is Deanna, her green eyes reflecting light back at them. She wasn't smiling and somehow, it didn't look like her, either.

ONE WEEK EARLIER

Sam and Deanna pulled into a gas station. "Alright," Deanna said with a smile. "I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight." Sam didn't respond. She scowled at her sister's ignorance, but then smiled. "Sam wears dildos in her pants."

"I've been listenin', Deanna," Sam said, tapping the touch pad on her laptop. "I'm just busy."

"Busy doin' what?" Deanna asked.

"Reading e-mails," Sam answered. Deanna got out of the car and started to fill the tank with gas.

"E-mails from who?" she asked Sam who was still sitting in the Impala.

She sighed. "From my friends at Stanford, Deanna."

"You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?"

"Why not?" Sam leaned over to look at her sister through the driver's side window.

Deanna bent down and answered, "Well, what exactly do you tell 'em? You know, about where you've been, what you've been doin'?"

"I tell 'em I'm on a road trip with my big sister. I tell 'em I needed some time off after Jess."

"Oh, so you lie to theem."

"No. I just don't tell them. . . everything."

"Yeah, that's called lying," Deanna nodded her head. "I mean, hey," she continued, with a shrug. "I get it, tellin' the truth is far worse."

"So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam asked. All she got as an answer was another shrug from Deanna. "You're serious?" Sam exclaimed.

"Look, it sucks, but in a job like this, you can't get close to people, period." Deanna answered. She seemed to speak from experience, something Sam had noticed over the past few weeks. It was like Deanna was trying to protect Sam from heart-break. Sam wanted to tell her to stick it because she wasn't twelve anymore but Deanna had a point. A job like this leaked bad into your social life.

"You're kind of anti-social, you know that?" Sam said, though. Joking made it easier for Deanna. Why not her, too?

"Yeah, whatever," Deanna said. Sam continued to read her e-mails.

"God," she muttered after a few minutes, a hand coming up to cover her mouth.

"What?" Deanna asked.

"In this e-mail from this guy, Beck Warren, one of those friends of mine-"

"Is he hot?" Deanna interrupted. Samantha ignored her.

"I went to school with him, and his brother, Zack. He says Zack's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Beck says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case."