Chapter XIII: 600 Years of Bad Luck

The Winchester sisters were driving down the road in the Impala when Deanna turned off the music to say, "You know, her boyfriend killing himself, that's not really her fault."

"Well, you know as well as I do spirits don't exactly see shades of gray, Deanna. Cherry had a secret, someone died, that's good enough for Mary."

"I guess."

"You know, I've been thinking," Sam said. "It might not be enough to just smash that mirror."

"Why, what do you mean?"

"Well, Mary's hard to pin down, right?" Sam asked, turning in her seat to face Deanna. The elder sister glanced between Sam and the road as she continued, "I mean she moves around from mirror to mirror so who's to say that she's not just gonna keep hiding in them forever? So maybe we should try to pin her down, you know, summon her to her mirror and then smash it."

"Well, how do you know that's going to work?"

Sam shrugged. "I don't, not for sure."

"Well who's gonna summon her?" Deanna asked, knowing she could.

"I will," Sam said, though. Her voice was quiet but added with more confidence in what she was saying, "She'll come after me."

"You know what, that's it." Deanna pulled the car over with a screech, passing cars honking at her angrily. "This is about Jesse, isn't it?" she exploded. "You think that's your dirty little secret that you killed her somehow? Sam, this has got to stop. I mean, the nightmares and calling his name out in the middle of the night- it's gonna kill you. Now listen to me- It wasn't your fault. If you wanna blame something, then blame the thing that killed him. Or hell, why don't you take a swing at me? I mean I'm the one that dragged you away from him in the first place."

"I don't blame you," she said quietly, not looking at her sister but rather at her hands. In her mind, they had so much blood on them, it wasn't enough to even scrub them raw like she had so many times. How did Deanna live with this? Does believing you save more people than you endanger really work?

"Well, you shouldn't blame yourself," Deanna said, seeming to have calmed down slightly. "Because there's nothing you could've done."

"I could've warned him."

"About what?!" Deanna exclaimed. "You didn't know what was gonna happen! And besides, all of this isn't a secret, I mean, I know all about it. It's not gonna work with Mary anyway."

"No you don't," Sam argued.

"I don't what?" Deanna asked, thinking she'd heard that wrong.

"You don't know all about it. I haven't told you everything."

"What are you talking about?"

"Well it wouldn't really be a secret if I told you, would it?" Sam asked, looking at Deanna with hard hazel eyes.

Deanna was surprised. She thought Sam had told her everything. That was what they did. They confided in each other. Sam was Deanna's sister. Sam was Deanna's best friend. What didn't she want to tell her?

"No. I don't like it," Deanna said, not letting up. "It's not gonna happen, forget it."

"Deanna, that girl back there is going to die unless we do something about it. And you know what? Who knows how many more people are gonna die after that? Now we're doing this. You've got to let me do this."

*

Next thing Deanna knew, they were at the antique shop, and Sam was trying to pick the lock on the door with her pin. It opened and they saw dozens of mirrors spread over the shop. "Well, that's just great." Deanna sighed, pulling out the picture of Mary's dead body to look at the mirror. "All right, let's start looking."