Chapter 11: Announcements

She collapsed. 

I ran to her through the maze of shadow domes. 

"What happened to her?" I yelled, kneeling down next to her.

Zola and Ray rushed to us but they had no answers. After a few moments, she opened her eyes. I thanked God as I saw they were back to the beautiful, soft brown. 

"What's your name?" I asked her, remembering what my mom had told me to do if someone collapsed. 

"You're pretty," she replied, smirking.

I rolled my eyes and laughed. 

"I thought you died twice in 24 hours," I remarked, shoving her shoulder.

"I could say the same about you," she smiled.

Suddenly the stone walls around us projected large screens. President Ellis' face shone on each one. 

"I see you have taken care of my associate," He stated bitterly, "Never mind the pleasantries, let's get to the point. Enough hiding in the shadows, Aaron, come and meet me, face to face. We can solve this like civilized people. Since you have shown a great deal of spite, I will let you have a fair trial. Tomorrow at 2:00 PM, Maryland Court of Appeals. You can die a 'heroes' death along with CLAW, or have a chance of life."

With that, the screens turned off. 

"Fair trial," Ray scoffed, "there's going to be nothing fair about it."

"She's right," Zola added, sadly, "No matter what you say, you're doomed."

Teagan said nothing, but kept staring at the ground. I looked at her for any reassurance, but she avoided my gaze. 

"W-why wouldn't it?" I asked, knowing the answer.

"Because all he wants is power. If he thinks you are getting in the way of his plans, or if you know too much, you must be eliminated," Ray stated.

I sighed knowing she was right. 

"When I..."

"If," Teagan cut me off, "if you go. CLAW could take him, I could take him. You don't need to hand yourself off. I'm not losing you again."

She looked straight at me and for a split second, her eyes were charcoal again. As suddenly as it appeared, the darkness was gone.

"What was that?" I asked, concerned.

"It's nothing," Teagan replied, brushing it off, "We need to actually get back to base."

I smiled but something was wrong, we both knew it.

Teagan stood up, but I could see the pain it caused her. She said nothing about it so I decided to let her be. 

As soon as we got back to base, I could tell something was off. I quickly changed into my favorite hoodie and ran to the meeting room. 

Dad was there, looking worse than ever. As soon as he saw me a wave of relief washed over his face. I ran and hugged him. This caught him by surprise, but he returned the embrace.

"I'm so glad you're back," he sighed, "I-I thought I lost you."

I had to repair my family.

Teagan walked in, and everyone stood just as they had on my first day here. This time, Teagan walked past me, to the center of the tables. 

 "I have come to the decision that we will take a stand against Ellis' army and not send Aaron to the trial," She stated, firmly.

I sighed, knowing that no matter what she decided, it wasn't her choice.     

Teagan then started giving directions for the preparation of battle, but I didn't bother paying attention. I had made up my mind.

After the meeting, I stopped her in the hall. 

"You know what you said isn't going to stop me from going."

"It's suicide going." 

"I know, but I can't let innocent people die for me. It's not right."

"Aaron," she yelled after me, as I walked away, "I can not watch another person I love die."

I stopped dead in my tracks. 

'Love' 

I turned back to face her as tears welled in my eyes.

I stroked her tear-stained cheek as her chocolate eyes met mine. I tried my hardest to remember them,  because I knew after today, I might never see them again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much if you've stuck with me this far!  

I know this chapter was incredibly short but I promise the next one will be nice and long!

All comments and votes mean the world to me!<3 <3