The Visit

"So how have you and John been? Are you two getting along?" Johns mother asked, as she continued pushing Scarlett on the swing.

"We've been great. He loves to help with Emma, which is really gr--"

"Has he been off to you at all lately?" She interrupted; probably concerned about him. But why is she asking all of these questions?

Flashbacks from yesterday appeared in my head. I squinted my eyes and shook my head, desperate to get them out. I want to tell her the truth, but John has to figure it out by himself. It's really none of my business.

"Are you alright, Katy?"

"Oh. Yeah. I'm fine. No John's been fine." I said, trying to cover up my obvious lie with a smile.

I immediately regretted what I said.

"Okay. I've been really concerned about him lately. He never talks to me anymore. I'm getting kind of worried."

"John's actually been very busy with work. He 's constantly in the studio and practicing. I know he feels really bad."

"It's fine, dear. Thank you for coming to visit."

"It's really not a big deal." I replied, as I continued to feed Emma her bottle.

She looked at me and smiled, the out her delicate hand on my shoulder.

"You're a very sweet woman, Katy. Thank you. Thank you for helping John all of these years. I've found that he kind of lost himself for a while. You've definitely straightened him out. For years I've tried to help him, but he always refused. I thought he would never change. I guess that's what caused me to lose hope in him. I've found that I became very cautious when it comes John. I never really know what to say to him...He's an adult now, and I get that he can make his own decisions, but I just want the best for him."

"Thank you." I said, I was speechless.

I never expected that. Especially coming from Johns mother, I always thought she hated me. We've become very distant, but now I know that we're closer.

She leaned in and hugged me, making me feel better about not only myself, but our family and our relationship.

________

"It's getting kind of late. Where's John?" Johns mother asked.

"He's over there playing with Emma." I replied, pointing to him.

"I'm going to go get him. Would you like to come over for dinner?"

"That sounds like a great idea. I'd love to."

"I'm glad."

She walked over to John, talking to him. I couldn't hear what she was saying, but I knew John looked happy.

10 minutes later, both of them walked over to Scarlett and I, who were now swinging on the swings.

"C'mon. Let's go to grandmas!" John said with a smile.

I gave him a proud look, and grabbed Scarlett's hand, as we walked to the car.

Scarlett let go of my hand, and ran ahead to catch up with Johns mother.

"I'm proud of you." I said while nudging his shoulder.

_______

"Who wants dessert?!" Johns mother called, while joyfully running into the dining room with a plate of pie.

"Oh gosh! I'm full. But thanks mom." John replied, while rubbing his full looking stomach

"Me!" Scarlett called, and raised her hand.

"Of course she does. She's Scarlett." I chuckled, and rolled my eyes.

Johns mother looked at both of us in confusion.

"She's got a sweet tooth just like her mother." John explained.

"Oh. Well maybe just a little piece."

She cut a little piece of pie for Scarlett and she immediately dove into the delicious looking dessert.

"Would you like some, Katy?" She asked. I didn't want to be rude, but I knew I couldn't eat anymore food. I'd probably puke.

"Oh no thank you. I'm fine."

"Okay dear."

She placed the remaining dish of pie on the table, and sat back down next to Scarlett.

"Thank you for coming over." She said.

"No problem. It was great seeing you."

She looked at both of us and smiled. I'm glad that this worked out. I could tell John needed it, and so did his mother.