| prologue |

"open your eyes," she obeyed and looked up and around her.

"it's beautiful, yuta," morina smiled. the stars were on full display as they stood on the secluded cliff, "i wish i could stay here forever," she mumbled.

"me too love," he pulled the weapon from his pocket, "but nothing lasts forever."

feeling a cold metal sensation her bare back, she turns her head to the side, "yuta, what are you doing?"

"i'm sorry love, but i have to do this," he presses a kiss on her shoulder, pulling the trigger and feeling her body go limp in his arms.

"yuta, monsta x has been very active lately. details have been sent to you about our next plan," mark informed the lad.

"hm, thank you mark," he nonchalantly responded.

being the heir of one of the largest mafia groups certainly wasn't an easy job, you had to be precise and on top of everything. one wrong move could cost you a lot, or a life.

yuta ran his hand through his long hair before scanning through the plans that had been sent to him, he had to make sure everything was correct, precise and in order. he made a few adjustments before calling mark in to set up a meeting for tomorrow, not wanting to waste time to make sure that everyone was on board with what they needed to do. hacking team, combat team, backups, weapons and especially his head team.

the night went on and he decided it was time to head home, however heading home as part of the mafia didn't mean going to sleep. it meant training, and a lot of it. yes, a ton of training took place in the workplace but personal training played a big part. as soon as he reached his house, he threw his shirt off and slipped on a pair of boxing shorts, going straight to the bottom floor to train.

throwing punches, kicks and heavy breaths filled the room as yuta continued to enhance his fighting. sweat dripped from his forehead as he ran his wet hair back. he took that he was done for the day and slipped into the shower to get rid of the sticky and sweaty sensation on his body.

while drying his hair, his phone buzzed. hastily checking who it was, he immediately rolled his eyes.

dad: i heard monsta x is getting a little more confident lately. don't let me down and put them in their place tomorrow.

his father. the one person who seemed to stress yuta out the most. ever since yuta was a little boy, all that was ever mentioned to him was the mafia.

he never really had the chance to have a real childhood. homeschooling, taekwondo, karate, nonstop training was all he was allowed to do. friends never came into his life until he actually got into the business, but those friends were all made through the mafia. yuta knew that he had no way out of this life.

however, meeting a girl who made him feel the slightest bit free. that was what kept yuta happy, but what did his father do? take it away. the one source of happiness he once had, had been taken away in a matter of seconds. all because of the mafia.

it was never yuta exactly hatin being a part of the mafia, it was the fact it had to be his main focus in life. it was as if he only depended on the mafia and that was it. because of this, he coldly shut people out, not wanting to depend on anyone else but himself.

dad: if you fail, we'll be having a meeting once again. again, don't let me down.

yuta groaned at the message, not even bothering to open the notification and throwing himself into bed and falling into a deep sleep.

the lad tossed and turned as his mind wandered free. the image of her unconscious body laying in his arms caused his brows to furrow and his breathing to quicken. his hands traced her delicate features, her blood staining his skin as the crimson liquid flowed out of the open wound.

"hmm, rina," he groaned, starting to sweat.

he desperately tried to open his eyes, trying to get out of his nightmare but it only made it worse. he heard her voice, calling out to him.

"yuta," she whispered, "yuta why," she cried.

her sobs got louder as she called his name over and over again. his breathing became uneven and tears started to stream down his cheeks.

"i-i'm sorry, i'm sorry, love," he mumbled.

his eyes shot open and he threw himself up, gasping for air. feeling something wet on his cheeks, he quickly wiped his tears away and rubbed his face.

again. it happened again. the same nightmare that he had every night. no matter how much he wanted it to go away, it never did. she has haunted him ever since that very day.

it was as if she was still there. it was as if she was still alive.