Part 1

Y/N POV

As I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock blaring in my ear, I sleepily smacked it with my hand, knocking it to the floor. When it's screeching noise came to a halt, I blissfully drifted back off to sleep. Ten minutes later, I woke up again to the sound of my Mother hammering on the door.

"Honey wake up, it's time for school" she patiently said, banging on the door a couple more times for good measure.

"Hmprph" I groaned, pulling my pillow over my head, desperate for a few more minutes of sleep.

"Come on, y/n, it's your first day of school! You can't be late." My Mother pleaded.

As if I could forget. When I snapped one eye open, I remembered that I wasn't in my cozy bed in Toronto. I was in this dingy new apartment in Queens. I knew this move was hard on my Mother, as she and I had lived our whole lives in Toronto. But I also knew that me liking the place was very important to her. She felt really guilty making us move for her new job. Ugh, she should feel guilty, but I have to give this a proper shot for her. So, I unwillingly hopped out of bed and threw on my favourite outfit. As I looked in the window as a mirror, I second guessed the comfy-casual I had planned and picked out a more stylish outfit. As I looked out the window at the city I now called home, I saw thick black smoke pouring out of the window of the apartment across from mine. I did a double take, wondering if I should try to call 911. Then I saw a boy in the window of the burning room, opening the window farther.

"Are you ok?" I screamed, cupping a hand to my mouth to amplify my voice."

Was it just me or did the boy blush? Aw, he looked so cute as he ran his hand through his wavy hair, looking all flustered. Cut it out, y/n! I reprimanded myself. How can you think stuff like that? You haven't even met this boy yet!

"Um, my aunt was just making pancakes. They kinda went horribly wrong and now there's a tiny bit of smoke." He screamed back.

Understatement of the century, I thought amusedly. As I was quietly laughing at the poor boy's attempts at dispelling the smoke, A woman stepped into view and with her hands on her hips. She said "My pancakes are a disaster, are they?"

"No, no Aunt May they aren't" the boy said weakly, looking over at me desperately, hoping for a way out of the hole he had just dug himself into.

I leaned farther out of the window. "They smell amazing!" I chimed in in a cheery voice.

The woman suddenly noticed me and said "Well thank you dear. Maybe my Peter can invite you over some time to try them, eh?" She continued, winking conspiratorially and elbowing the boy.

The boy, Peter I now knew (why did knowing his name send such a thrill through me?) turned redder if that's possible, and before he could deny it, I smiled and said "Totally!"

The woman looked happy that I'd agreed, and walked away from the window with a goodbye.

"I haven't properly introduced myself, I'm y/n" I said. "I guess I'm your new neighbour"

"I'm Peter" the boy said back. "It's nice to meet you."

After exchanging these pleasantries, I realized I'd been standing there for twenty minutes. "I'm so sorry Peter," I apologized "I have to fly, I'm going to be late for school"

"No problem" he good-naturedly replied "See you around, y/n"

Without a second to spare, I closed my window and dashed to my nightstand. I yanked out a comb and tried unsuccessfully to run a brush through my tangled snarls of hair. When I finally came out of my room, my Mother seemed relieved.