Chapter 2: Struck by the Light

Shadow the Hedgehog:

I was called in to G.U.N. HQ by the Commander to help with the case involving the disappearance of some of my associates who were working on a project to strengthen the genes of sick patients to fight off some of the deadliest diseases. If only Maria was here to see this day.

Something else seemed to bother me at the moment. For some strange reason I felt as if I was connected to this somehow. Damn, if only I could put my finger on it.

"So Commander, what do you want us to do?" said Rouge the Bat.

"I want you, Shadow, and E-123 Omega to infiltrate the underground base and take out whoever is responsible for this incident. We'll be sending down the Spider Troupe with you to assist in rescuing anyone still alive."

"Do you currently have any additional information on the threat?" I asked.

"Not so far, all we know is that there is a powerful energy field surrounding the perimeter but it's origin is still unknown. Though due to it's properties, our scientists have come to a conclusion that it may be something... unearthly."

Unearthly? I wonder...

"So when do you guys think we should leave and catch this guy?" Rouge asked.

"We've already assembled the Spider Troupe, and if any of out men are still alive down there, they might not be for long if you don't leave immediately."

"Affirmative, Commander. I wish to eliminate the enemy as soon as possible," Omega answered almost immediately.

Top Secret G.U.N. BASE/ Research Center.:

After Omega found and destroyed the energy field generator, we went in search to find the tunnel that led towards the main room of the base with a tracker provided to us by the Commander.

The whole entire time I had this nostalogic feeling inside of me, almost as if I knew the enemy somehow.

"Hey Shadow, are you feeling okay? You look like you've been in your head for quite a while now. Is there something bothering you?" Rouge happened ask while I was thinking.

"It's nothing that concerns you," I quickly retorted.

"Jeez, I was only asking because I care," She rolled her eyes.

We finally found the long metal lined tunnel after lifting up a lose piece of terra. There was a set of long, wide winding stairs that led downwards. The first room contained a large metal door that was darker than the rest of the room with a headsized screen for entering passcodes. Above high our heads was a hole that led into the vents, but the cover was missing.

"I wouldn't be suprised if our guy was into acrobatics or freerunning," joked one of the troupers.

Hmph, even that blue faker could've said something more impressive .

We entered in the passcodes given to us by the Commander and after many winding paths we found the main room which had a large screen plastered to one wall and filled with lab equipment, computers, and the paralyzed soldiers & scientists. The Spider Troupe then proceed to provide them with gas masks like us and immediately administered the medicine. Something didn't seem right the entire time, it was awfuly quiet before everyone began waking up.

I had this strange feeling inside of me. It was almost as if... someone was watching us.

"Shadow watch out!" Rouge exclaimed.

I quickly turned and dodged to the right as I felt a lazer graze my shoulder.

"Gahr!" I held my bleeding shoulder in pain.