Chapter 19: ARC 1 - The Lost Princess

Umi, as a child who got out of the orphanage because of her luck to get picked by a rich foster father, always loved surprises. Whenever there are special occasions, her birthday being the number one example, Umi loved it when her fans surprise her with gifts and sometimes even a grand party.

She loved surprises.

But not like this kind of surprise.

"Behold! Bow down your heads in front of the presence of the one and only ruler, the true King! King Celestius I!"

Adrenaline flooded through every corner of Umi's system. Beads of sweat trickled down her brow as her face was quickly drowned of any color. Fear crept over her like a curse, holding her captive on the ground, immobilizing both her body and mind.

She knew she had to think of something. She knew that the only way out is to demand her brain to function, to think of a solution rather than being subdued by the fear that the man before her brought. Or at least she could say something, but terror sucked every breath of hers making her mouth dry.

The man took two slow steps as his menacing aura terrorized every nerve of Umi's brain. Umi gulped down the saliva that was already thickening in her throat as she tried to calm her trembling body.

Umi didn't know what to do. For a long time, she only stupidly stood there on the ground with nothing but a petrified face.

When the guard noticed that the girl didn't pay respect to the king, the dwarf stepped forward and without any hesitation, he kicked the girl's knee causing Umi to fall to the ground with her face first.

Great.

Juuust great.

As if a bucket of ice-cold water was dropped on her head, Umi woke up from her shocked state and finally was able to move. She shook her head firmly and without even standing up, she bowed down to the king, head at the floor, and eyes focused on the man's shoes.

"Ah, finally." A deep voice sounded, echoing through the empty walls of the tower, making Umi involuntarily shiver. "I see you have been taught well by your mother."

Umi never even attempted to get up. She stayed on the ground, waiting for the Mad King's next words as several thoughts galloped chaotically in her mind like a herd of horses.

Without even consenting the girl to stand up, the Mad King ordered the guards to step out of the room and lock the door. When the two of them were finally alone in the hallway, Umi was silently praying that Shiera wouldn't go out of her room.

However, things necessarily don't always go according to one's will.

Umi wanted to curse and utter several words of profanity that the gods above might have to abandon her when she heard some rustling sounds coming from the woman's room.

"Rosa, darling? Why aren't you coming back?"

At the same time that the door to Shiera's room opened, the Mad King spoke, "Ah, there you are, my wife."

Umi bit her lip and closed her eyes shut. Things have gone from bad to worse. At least, if the Mad King were to go crazy here, she would have wanted to get Shiera out of his sight. The poor woman has suffered a lot already!

"Come, Rosa." Umi visibly flinched when large hands grabbed both of her arms to lift her upper body from the ground. She can only let the Mad King manipulate her body as if she had no control over her own. When she was back on her feet once again, the Mad King gripped Umi's shoulders as he spoke with a sinister voice, "Look at your mother, look at how beautiful she is."