Chapter Twenty

Evangeline soared up swiping her branch ferociously, like how a kindergartener might act when not given the piece of candy that she desires, her gaze was fixed on the person whom she wanted to hit with her only weapon. She raised her arm and swung with momentum, grabbing the stick tightly, toward the queen.

But then, Evangeline and Starlight froze in midair. Evangeline's hair was flying, her eyes were wide with terror and her mouth formed the words 'no, never'. Starlight's front legs were outstretched and her main was flying black like Evangeline's hair. The stick dropped to the ground with a clang. Moments later, Starlight and Evangeline fell too with a faint crash. Evangeline groaned on the ground, her hand groped at her surroundings, she moved feebly, a trickle of blood on her check.

After a moment of staring, the queen spoke up 'well done my dear.' She congratulated the king 'we, have defeated the mortals at last and our kingdom shall rise beyond dream. We have defeated them with skill and magic. They are killed.' she let out a cruel and merciless laugh and the others joined in too.

Evangeline's consciousness was slipping away, she pinched herself, hoping the pain would bring her back, but no use. She felt around, and to her amazement found something. It was one of the hands of either Aquarius or Seleina. She felt gently with her fingertips until she found a scar running along the person's index finger, it is was Seleina. Evangeline put her hand on Seleina's and grasped it tightly, hoping the grasp would never loosen. At least she was with her friends. 'hope.' She said in a whisper barely audible, as all the strength left her body. But the thing she didn't know was that when their fingertips made contact, the energy she had, had been transferred into Seleina's body, which was enough to keep the fight going.

After a round of cackling and evil laughter, the queen and king and Prudentam walked in triumph toward the girls lying unconscious on the ground.

'now they will be able to join us.' The king said patting the knife around his waist and smirking. 'they were hard to convince, weren't they?'

'yes.' Prudentam agreed, letting out a mighty belch 'especially the peanut.'

'her name, if I'm not mistaken,' the queen said meekly, 'is Enagline Softy.'

The king laughed hysterically 'she was pretty soft.'

Prudentam belched and said 'shall we carry them to our marvelous temple?'

'of course.' The queen laughed 'our power shall rise once the mortals are added to our sacrifice.'

'then, I'll take Enagline Softy.' Prudentam volunteered, 'so I can pat her head along the way, I'll be sure to torture her.' and hit Evangeline so her head nearly fell off. 'torturing people is so fun!'

'good.' the king nodded 'I'll take the new one, what's her name again? Arial? I'll just call her that anyway. I'll love to tear her hair off.' and grabbed Aquarius by the hair, dangling her.

'exactly.' The queen sank her long finger nails into Seleina's flesh. 'I'll take Seleina for myself.' She grabbed Seleina by the whist and yanked her up.

Seleina mumbled a few words, she jerked and twitched. Then suddenly, her eyes opened, shining with energy. The silvery blue aura around her had reappeared.

The queen let go of Seleina with a shriek. 'the mortal!' she said, turning in circles. 'she's back! No!' she tried to tear at Seleina's hair.

Seleina stood up, rubbing her wrist and calmly surveyed her surroundings, from the unicorns to her friends then to her enemies. 'put them down.' She demanded. 'now.'

'and why shall we listen, please?' the queen said slyly once she had recovered from the shock. 'because you are too weak to fight.'

'no.' Seleina said. 'I'm not.'