chapter thirteen

November 13th, 2016
21:29
Avengers Tower, Manhattan, NY
United States of America
Planet C53; Earth

November 13th, 201621:29Avengers Tower, Manhattan, NYUnited States of AmericaPlanet C53; Earth

STARK NEVER REALLY liked her, sure, but he had never hated the poor kid. Not in the slightest.

In fact, he'd still, still felt like this was his fault. Somehow, in some way or form or just something. He could have stopped this! He should have stopped this! He couldn't have, but he should have, and now-

No, Stark concluded. There was no way to see this coming. It was inevitable.

And painful.

And just plain awful.

She was doing better, of course. The little creepy girl was good, recovering surprisingly quickly for someone her age. Still in a wheelchair, but better.

And while she was doing better, she still wasn't well. Recovery was a long journey, far, far away but oh so worth it.

And maybe that was okay.

  —

"How is she?" Natasha asked. Stark, in return, jumped in his skin, while Natasha only laughed.

"Uh, fine, I think..." He said slowly. Why is she curious?

"She likes you," Natasha continued (Stark almost laughed). "Really," She said. "I see the way she looks up to you-"

"She's in a wheelchair, she looks up to everyone."

"Unimportant. She's very grateful for this... for your help." Natasha paused. Then, "She doesn't hate you, Tony. It's quite the opposite."

Stark, again, scoffed, but Natasha had already left. She'd won and she knew it. He knew it, too. Everyone did.

  —

"Hello, Mr. Stark," Blake croaked. She spoke softly while she squinted, obvious confusion. The bed creaked under her weight, which she was steadily gaining. All was good.

"Hey, Kid," Stark said. "How are you feeling?"

He and the girl had been getting along much better now, especially compared to the last time. Ever since Natasha's talk, it seemed, skies cleared. Whatever happened had worked tremendously (not that the former two would admit it), and they were quite thankful.

"Better," Blake admitted. "When can I walk?"

That was the typical conversation, now. "I'm fine but when will I be O.K.?" "I'm well but when am I able to leave?"

"Soon," Stark said. But truth be told, he didn't know. He couldn't tell her that, of course, but...

"But how soon?"

Stark shrugged, Hard to say.

"A month or so."

"Oh."

Stark smiled. He brought his arm to her own, gesturing to the fresh scarring buried beneath her cast. "But your arm's been looking good. I think that cast should be coming off in a few days," He offered.

Blake's eyes lit up, "Really?" She asked.

"I gotta talk to Bruce, but I'll see what I can do. How are those ribs?"

"Really good, actually," Blake laughed. "And my head's doin' fine, as well."

"And your arm?"

Blake was silent for a moment. Then, "Uh, better, I guess. Still kinda hurts like a bitch, but a lot less than before," She chuckled.

That's the other thing. Blake was being a kid here. An actual kid, acting her age. She joked and smiled and cried. She gossiped with Nat and cooked with Vision and helped Bruce study data (when it was necessary). She teased constantly, swore like a sailor, and loved fuzzy blankets.

Hell, she even named an Aloe Vera plant - which she got from Wanda - Bradley! Who the fuck is Bradley?!

"I bet," Stark said with a nostalgic smile. "What else... your knee's good, we went over arms, foot, ribs, head - oh! How's the dizziness? Any nausea? Eating been good?"

"Yes, sir."

"Great." Stark pressed his lips together, "I think that's all, then. Do you need anything?"

"I don't think so..."

"Okay. Let me know when you do."

"Yes, sir."

Stark hit his hands down, onto his armrests. He pushed himself up, gave Blake a single look once more, and then left her room.

She needs a friend, He thought.

Stark reached into his pocket and pulled out his buzzing phone. It was a text from Happy Hogan. He said,

Tell spiderling to stop texting me

And Tony Stark got an idea.

holy crap sorry it's been a lil while. BUT NEXT CHAPTER HAS OUR BOY PETER IN IT!!!!!! stay safe, xx.