Chapter 19

Being listened to is so close to being loved that most people cannot tell the difference.

_____________________________________________

Jennie's POV

Hearing Lisa's voice yesterday was a bliss. It might be a short conversation but it fills some of the emptiness I am feeling. It somehow brought me back to life.

I am currently sitting at my chair in my office while looking at the skyscrapers around Gangnam Business District. If you are going to ask about my sister, she's at the couch munching and filling her stomach with a bunch of dakkochi she ordered.

"Jennie!" My sister shouted. I slowly turned my chair towards her and raised one of my eyebrows. "Your secretary has been calling your attention for quite awhile now but it seems that you are in a deep talk with yourself."

"My bad." I uninterestedly replied. "What is it, Minsuh?" I queried.

"The business meeting with the representatives from a company in the Philippines has been confirmed for tomorrow at 10 o'clock in the morning." She stated and looked at me, waiting for a question from me. I signalled her to continue which she politely obliged. "I've already managed to prepare all necessary materials needed for tomorrow. The conference room is also prepared. Lastly, huijang-nim asked for your presence at his office."

"Tell him that I am out for lunch." I monotonously replied. I left my chair and headed towards the couch where Jisoo-eonnie is munching her chickens. "Let's go, eonnie. Don't wanna be here. The air is suffocating." I impulsively said. Jisoo-eonnie shrugged her shoulders and followed me. "Tell him that I'll be back tomorrow to meet the representatives. I am not feeling well." I told my secretary before getting out of my office.

"This is really the first time I saw you, somewhat resisting our father." Jisoo-eonnie remarked upon entering the elevator. "I don't know if it is for the good but at least I saw some progress on you, Jendukie." She added.

"I can manage his company if he wants to, but him, controlling my life? That's being overboard." I continuously stated.

With this, being said, all I can think about is Lisa. I don't know why. She just suddenly pops out of my mind. Her smile instantly engulfs my mind. Her voice is echoing inside my head. All I can ever think was our memories from our trip. Our pretty little detours. The things she always did for me that make my heart flutter and my stomach rumble. And genuine happiness.

"Starting to grow up, eh?" Jisoo-eonnie commented, lifting the corner of her lips. "Look, I am not tolerating you for your disobedience, but I've seen how you've suffered. So, I can understand everything." She added and gave me a reassuring smile.

I did not answer and kept my silence. Hearing those words made my heart melt. We entered our car and headed home. When we got home, I ran towards my room and looked for my "other" phone, expecting that at some point, Lisa once again, messaged me. And yet again, to my dismay, I don't receive any messages.

I was slumped on the floor holding the phone onto my chest when my sister barged inside my room. I was frightened and hid my phone behind me. She is looking at me with so much curiosity. I gave her a faint smile which made her even more suspicious.

"What is it Jendukie?" She sternly asked.

"What... What?" I lied.

"Really?" She said and folded her arms over her chest.