Chapter: 23

Eran's POV

The serene smell of freshly brewed coffee hit my nose like some large nostalgic ocean wave as relief coursed through my bloodstream. I could feel two pair of eyes right at me as I sipped my fourth coffee for the day, feeling the liquid burning through my throat as a small curse escaped my mouth. "Bruh, let it cool down for at least a minute or so" I looked at Ricky as he said that, and rolled my eyes. "Or, I could just simply order a drink or something?" I replied as the others chuckled and he flipped me off. "Why have you been gulping down coffee after coffee since an hour now?" asked Hunter.

I blew on my coffee, feeling zero sensations on my tongue, clearly I burnt it. I have been on caffeine since the first hour of the sun and I'm still feeling all drowsy as if I didn't sleep since four days. "When does a certain someone start having coffee out of absolutely nowhere?" "And why exactly are you being so cocky, today?" asked Ricky. I realized I actually was being extra annoying today but that's exactly how my body functions. Sleep and me, we were best friends. Without her in my life, I would be absolutely incomplete. Yes I'm aware that I am referring to sleep as a 'her' because sleep is the love of my life.

Isn't it the love of everyone's life, at this point? Like, the ultimate solution to every single problem. I think the only problem it cant solve is the problem of death. It jjst never wakes the human being, and they are led to live through and through a forever illusion till forever. Hell, it can even solve the problem of financial issues, for example if you are drowning in debt, you can just sleep through it and remember none of it. I mean it kinda resembles death as well, if you think about it and using the technique of sleep for, forever.

Ricky fanned his bonny fingers in front of my face as I looked back at him. I wiggled my eye brows and pretended that I didn't just go on a full on tangent thinking about all the possible merits and demerits of sleeping. "He didn't sleep at night, I bet" said Hunter as I rolled my eyes. "There you go, I was right" Hunter answered himself as Ricky sighed and I threw my fourth cup of the day in the dustbin.

Getting another cup for myself, I glanced at them, and noticed two different expressions on their faces. Horrid, confusion. "What?" I asked as they looked at each other. "We are just wondering how you are single-handedly keeping this coffee shop run, with your recent addiction for caffeine" says Ricky as Hunter snorted and looked sideways.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not addicted you dick heads, I just need my brain to function properly" I replied as they again exchanged looks of ishegonemad.

Hunter raised an eyebrow. "Oh? And what happened last night? Another marathon of '90s romcoms?"

"No," I say flipping him off but also, taking a sip of my much-needed caffeine fix. "I was up all night wondering how am I even friends with you two. Speaking of bed, you do know that sleep is really important, right? Just like a wife, gotta treat her with respect" I finish as Hunter tilted his head out of confusion and Ricky pinched his forehead with his two fingers. Ricky says, "What does that even mean?"

I leaned forward, "Think about it. Sleep is like a wife. You neglect it, and it will ruin your life. You respect it, and it will reward you with peace and happiness."

Hunter burst out laughing. "That's the most ridiculous analogy I've ever heard! But I guess it makes sense in a weird, Eran kind of way."

I couldn't help but laugh too but my laughter was short lived as my mind wandered towards Rose, thinking why she never really replied to my texts or calls. "Rose hasn't been talking to me since last night" I say, before catching myself and regretted almost instantly. I don't like talking about these things with my friends, but I guess the button of 'self control' has officially been turned off. I'm blaming the coffee for it.

Hunter shrugged. "Maybe she's mad at you. Did you do something to piss her off?"

"Hold on" interjected Ricky. "You guys are official?" "Not yet, but soon" I reply as the sight of her innocent eyes and smile filled in my mind I contained my smile from slipping out. Guess I do have some of the self control left in me.

Ricky nodded sagely. "Relationships.." I cut him off with my glare. "I mean, situationships are tricky, man. Like my Uncle Joe always says, 'Women are like Wi-Fi. Sometimes they just disconnect for no reason.'"

"Your Uncle Joe sounds like a wise man," I said, trying to keep a straight face.

"He is," Ricky replied proudly. "He's been married four times."

Hunter snorted. "Maybe not that wise then."

Ricky reached over and patted my shoulder. "Relax, Eran. She'll call. Meanwhile, let's focus on why you're drinking that cup of anxiety right now."he says gesturing towards the remnants of coffee in my cup.

I looked down at my coffee. "Because I need it to stay awake, also do you guys now see where Im coming from? You wouldn't need it if you had a proper relationship with sleep. It's like... if you keep staying up worrying about your girl, you're cheating on sleep. And let me tell you, sleep gets very jealous."

Ricky snickered. "And we all know how that ends. You start seeing things, acting weird. Next thing you know, you're that guy talking to pigeons in the park."

"Or worse," Hunter added, "you'll end up like Ricky's Uncle Joe."

I laughed, worry etched clearly on my face. Ricky nodded sympathetically. "I hear you. But you know what helps? A good routine. And maybe less caffeine."

I glanced at my half-empty cup. "Easier said than done also think of it this way. If sleep is like a wife, coffee is like an affair. Exciting at first, but it'll screw you over eventually."

Ricky doubled over with laughter. "Man, you should write a book. 'Life Lessons from the Mind of Eran'. I'd buy that." Write a book. Rose has mentioned about her writing skills but I have never really seen her write anything. I make a mental note of asking her to show me one of her literary pieces. I'm sure, ill fall more in love with her.

I sighed, feeling a bit more at ease thanks to my friends' ridiculous banter. "Thanks, guys. You always know how to cheer me up."

"That's what we're here for," Ricky said, raising his cup in a mock toast. "To friendship, coffee, and the weirdness of life."

"And to sleep," Hunter added. "Our faithful, jealous partner, according to our super talented Eran"

We clinked our cups together and I took another sip, savoring the moment. Despite my worries, it was good to know I had friends who could always make me laugh and see things from a different perspective.