11 | sasha

Another day, another study session at the diner.

Today, Joshua was beside me, whilst Leilani sat opposite me, all of us frowning over the workbooks on the table.

Joshua was strangely more focused than expected, diligently working on English grammar exercises. Dad may have warned him that I wasn't feeling well, which probably invoked more sympathy from Josh.

Leilani was revising on some theories for Drama class, and I was hunched over an anatomy chapter for Bio class, completely in the zone. So it made me jump out of my skin when she slammed a palm on the table. 

"It's Mr. Class President," Leilani announced. 

Joshua perked up. "Theo gēgē?"

I scrunched my nose. "What does he want?"

"He's asking if Deandre and I are at the diner now. Ooh, plus you. I'll let him know?" 

I closed my eyes briefly, squashing the humiliating memories from a couple days ago. "Fine."

"Fine? It's Theo gēgē," Joshua retorted. "I want to see him!"

Leilani giggled and typed furiously, her nails clicking against the phone screen. "Your dreams are coming true, Joshy. He's coming."

"Yay!" Joshua cheered as he leapt from his seat, punching the air. 

I winced. "Where do you get all this energy from?"

"Sasha needs some," Leilani commented. 

"She does," Joshua agreed gravely.

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my hot mocha. People laughed at my choice of 'coffee', but I secretly had a sweet tooth, although I looked like a black coffee type of person. 

"Hey, that's no way to treat your hero," Leilani teased. 

I nearly choked. "What hero?"

Leilani huffed. "Theo Atkinson."

Joshua's eyes widened. "What happened?"

"Okay, nothing interesting," I replied curtly. "Get back to your workbook." 

Leilani turned her gaze back to mine. "Have you booked a doctor's appointment to get your cramps checked out?" 

"Yes," I snorted. "Don't worry. My doctor dad's lectured me already."

"We care about you," Leilani stated matter-of-factly. 

I shifted in my seat, uncomfortable with direct, verbal expression of affection. Leilani grinned knowingly. "Don't tell me, mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell."

"What's that?" Joshua asked curiously. 

It was my turn to smirk. "Good luck explaining that to him, Lei."

"You're evil," she moaned, but then smiled weakly at Joshua. "I'll tell you when you're older."

I slapped my forehead. "Okay, everyone, get back to work." 

We managed to focus again until we were joined by another presence about twenty minutes later. 

"Hey, people," Theo Atkinson greeted brightly. 

Leilani stood up and gave him a brief hug. "Scoot in."

"Theo gēgē!" Joshua gushed. 

Theo grinned. "Hey, dìdi." 

Joshua's jaw dropped to the floor. "You remembered!"

"Wait, what's gege and didi?" Leilani asked. 

"It's like 'older bro' and 'younger bro'," I explained.