22 | theo

I'd admit -- I was an emotional person. I just seemed to feel more sensitively, and usually I welcomed that part of me. 

But for the first time in a while, I wished I could tamp it all down. 

"I don't know what to do," Leilani sniffed. 

Deandre nudged her milkshake towards her, which she gulped down. He rubbed her back gently as he tried to console, "Sasha's still sensible. She won't go anywhere risky, so don't worry too much."

"How can I not?" Leilani protested. "She's turned her phone off. What if there's an emergency?" 

"She'll find a way," Deandre replied softly. "It's Sasha Li. We've got to give her a bit more credit, hey?" 

"I know she won't do anything stupid, but this is already unnerving enough," Leilani pointed out. "Even when she disappears, she always tells us where she'll be, or when she'll be back."

"I think all we can do now is really trust her and respect her boundaries," I sighed. "You said her mom called?" 

"That woman," Leilani hissed. "She only calls when she wants something. Even Sasha's dad didn't know about the phone call."

"Which is why Sasha will need more time and space than usual," Deandre reasoned. "Remember when I needed that too? Much more of it. But you were willing to wait for me."

"You've learnt how to sweet-talk," I chuckled. 

Deandre shrugged. "Just saying what I'm thinking."

His honesty caused Leilani to pause and gaze at him, a blush creeping onto her cheeks. 

She dabbed her tears with a scrunched-up tissue. "I think I know where Sasha may have run off to, especially if she's not back till late."

Deandre frowned. "The 24/7 library?" 

"Fantasy-adventure section," Leilani barked out a laugh. 

Deandre grinned lopsidedly. "She'll be fine." 

Leilani wiped the rest of her tears away. "I'm feeling like watching a romcom, or at least something fun, right about now. You guys wanna come over?" 

I exchanged a glance with Deandre. He seemed to get the message and patted Leilani's head. "Why don't we head back first, and Theo can join us after?"

Leilani sighed. "Sure, you literally just finished filming, must be exhausted. Come over whenever, yeah?"

"Will do," I replied with a smile. 

Leilani downed her milkshake. "Alright, I think that sugar rush is going to kick it now, better get going so we don't lose momentum for that movie." 

"I'll get the bill," I announced as I stood up, which caused Deandre to scramble out of his seat. 

We half-raced to the cashier, with an amused Leilani looking on. I nudged Deandre aside. "Seriously, I can cover today." 

Deandre rolled his eyes as I shoved my money at the cashier, but suddenly murmured quietly, "I think we should give Sasha space, unless she's not back by dinner or something." 

"I'll go check on her," I assured. 

Deandre gave me a squeeze on the shoulder before heading back to Leilani, who had narrowed down a list of movies they could watch, including old animated Barbie movies, to much of my amusement.

"Those ones are good, don't come at me," she defended.

I raised my hands. "I have sisters, remember? I grew up with those myself."