2} Back Home

4 years later

"Here you go, sir." I hand him his mocha and a straw, "Please come again soon!"

He simply nods and walks away with his drink to sit down and scroll away on his phone. I've seen way too many customers do that, but what else can you expect when your working in Starbucks?

Suddenly, the TV closest to me announces something that catches my attention.

"In other news, the famous Louis Tomlinson is back home, once again. Him and his band, One Direction, just finished up their worldwide tour, with sold out stadiums, a book, a movie...I could go on forever! But that boy stuck to his roots, he just landed in Doncaster today and is taking a break from the tour... I'm John Colton on Channel 6."

Huh, it's funny how life turned out. Just a few years ago, I remember Louis and I used to always be by each other's side. We've known each other since the beginning of grade school and nothing split us apart. But now we've gone in completely different paths.

The sky was blue with just a speckle of clouds floating across it. The wind was perfectly cool and brushed the grass against our skin as I laid in Louis' backyard.

"That one looks like a really fat bunny," I point out to the sky.

"What a cute little fella, isn't it?" He says and puts his hands under his neck.

"Well, I guess...for a cloud I mean."

He chuckles, "Every cloud is beautiful, no matter what shape or size."

Now I laughed, "That's deep, bro."

We end up laughing together and continue spotting dysfunctional clouds. After a while, we just became silent and stared at the world around us. It wasn't an awkward silence, it was one of the times where you were just thinking and nobody interrupted you.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" He softly asks.

"I don't know... Maybe a chef? Or how about a architect? Ugh, I don't know." I say defeated.

He chuckles and his eyes squint up. I roll over to him and bump into him really hard for laughing at me.

"Shut up. What do you want to be?" I say and turn my head to him.

"A famous football player." He says like its the most obvious thing in the world.

"Aw, don't leave me behind. You'll be a worldwide football player while I'll be alone and jobless."

"Jess, your more than capable of finding something you'll love to do for a living. Oh! Hey, let's get our first jobs at the movie store so we can sneak movies for free and watch them until our eyes pop out!" He excitedly says.

I crack up at his sudden light bulb in his mind, "Ok, deal."

"I can already imagine it... You, me, and the Spider-Man movie."

I miss the days when I was 13. Where I didn't really think about the future. When I didn't have any worries whatsoever. When I still had Louis as a friend...

But things change.

Louis ended up being in the world's #1 band while I was a cashier at a coffee shop. Plus, it was my last year of uni and I don't think Louis will join me anytime soon...hell, he doesn't even remember me.

"Oooh, maybe you'll run into you-know-who." My co-worker, Skylar, sings.

"Don't you even start..." I warn and roll my eyes.

I met Skylar a couple months after Louis left, and I cannot be more grateful. Since the beginning, she's understood how I feel and I could literally talk to her about anything. She's basically my sister at this point.

She laughs and sprays whipped cream on a frappe, "Your gonna have to face him one day."

"Sure ok, what ever floats your boat," I shrug and hand the next customer their frappe.

She giggles and almost spills her next drink. Most of the time, she could really help me with my problems...but other times she could be a real pain in the ass.

"Oh my god, he doesn't even remember me!" I point out about the millionth time.

Skylar always has the fantasies on Louis and I reuniting and getting married and all that other stuff. It makes me laugh about of the thought, but Skyler never lets it go. I'm not the only one, she ships almost everybody she knows and I have to admit, they are cute matches. But me and Lou? Yea, right.

"Stop saying that! Jess, you've been besties since the fucking day you were born, how could he forget you?"

"I dunno, um maybe it's hard to keep track of it when your in the world's most popular boyband."

"Well, I still have hope for you two." She simply states.

"Mhm," I say and pretend like I'm working at the cashier so the conversation will be done with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After hours of working my shift, it's almost time to close up. Thankfully, Skylar and I have the same shift so I don't have to work alone.

"Don't forget to wipe down the tables!" Skylar screams from the kitchen.

"Got it." I mutter as I scrub as hard as I can.

When I'm done with all the tables, my arm hurts like fuck. I join Skyler near the pastries to make sure we finished everything.

"Ok, I organized everything in the kitchen and placed all the food back in the fridge." She goes through her mind.

"Perfect, I just finished wiping down the tables and...that's it."

She laughs, "Ok, let's have our celebratory pastry,"

The good thing about working last shift is that you get to stay as late as you want, until 11pm. But also, you get to sneak pastries in and nobody would notice.

"I feel like a muffin." I say and grab the banana-walnut muffin.

We place our goods in the microwave for a bit and Sky gets some napkins.

"I'm gonna get the milk!" I scream as I jog into the kitchen with my muffin in my hand.

"Hurry!" She screams back.

While I search I keep taking little nibbles of my muffin because I just can't resist.

After a while, I finally find the milk. It took a while, since I don't really work in the kitchen.

I walk out of the kitchen with the jug of milk in my hand. As I get closer to the cashier, I can hear Skyler talking to someone. Why would a customer come in this late?

"Oh, can you add some more creamer?" The customer asks.

"Woah, this much creamer? You're a crazy man." Skyler jokes.

I exit out the door, still biting my muffin. But when I open the door, I first see Sky making a cup of coffee. But then the next thing I saw made me stop dead in my tracks...

I practically spit out my muffin, the voice and face is something I've gotten to known too well.

Right in front of the counter, a guy with a beanie and jacket stands.

A guy named Louis Tomlinson.

A/N:
OH MY GURD LOUIS!

The italics are the past ;)

lol, I hoped you liked this book and please share this story, it would mean a lot to me :)

- lauren x