Part 7: Changes

We had a good laugh before the fate of our grades were revealed to us. It turns out, Miyeon-unnie was right.

The university staff decided to give us a chance to redeem ourselves, but not just an ordinary chance though, they're making us perform infront of the guests, one of which is the one and only, Ms. Hyuna. My idol. My inspiration.

The presentation was on Friday, and we have to perform two songs. We only have one ready. And that's what we prepared all vacation. This is not happening. It takes some time before Soyeon finishes a melody, plus composing the lyrics and recording for the demo. And I only ever made choreography for the finalized ones. The final exam for the first semester was still a few months away so we have plenty of time to focus on that, but right in front of us is a dilemma that none of us had expected.

"This is the only chance I'm giving you. Perform successfully and I'll personally see to it that you girls receive perfect scores. You're carrying the name of the whole school at your shoulders, if you fail... Well, let's just all hope that you won't." The President gave an easy smile, a gesture that came from a muscle memory of years entertaining hundreds of people, trying to create a good impression as the President. "I'm giving you the liberty to choose whether to perform an original song, or a cover. Though, I must admit I prefer an original. After all, this university motivates its artists to be self-producing idols."

Yuqi raised a hand, "With all due respect, Mr. President. Sir." When the President nods, Yuqi continued, "I don't think your terms are fair. Every students were given the whole vacation or at least a few weeks to get ready for the midterm, including us. We have one song ready that is polished and good, but asking for another one at this day of the week, we only have at least three days to come up with a new song and choreography. It wouldn't be enough. It's not fair." The President's brows raised in surprise and admiration for Yuqi's braveness or foolishness to complain. But I believe everyone here silently agreed to what she said.

The President's features became serious and blank, all the friendliness was gone, "I'm giving you a challenge, Ms. Song. If you can't handle the pressure, I don't think you deserved to be consider for a debut. And again, this is the only chance I'm offering to give you a proper grade. Take it or leave it, it's your choice."

The room went silent, everyone weigh in the options. "Let's do it." All attentions shifted to me, "We're free this week and we're always together anyway. We might as well use the time to practice."

Minnie-unnie inhales through her teeth, "I don't know Soojin-ah, the dance... Can you magically come up with a choreography overnight?"

"I... guess?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. President. Can we discuss this first among ourselves?" The man in the room gave his permission to Soyeon.

Outside of the office, no one's willing to share what's on their mind. We are facing a split road here, both leading to our doom. If we don't take the offer, we'll fail. If we do try to perform two songs, one song miraculously appearing overnight, and gave a messed-up performance, we'll still fail.

"So... what's the plan?" Miyeon-unnie broke the silence. We were alone at the hallway so her voice echoes through the walls.

Soyeon sighed, "Before anything else, I'm sorry guys for putting us in this kind of situation. If only my stomach didn't acted up that day, we wouldn't be experiencing this."

"Hey, let's just focus on what's our next step for now. Besides, it's not your fault you had a diarrhea, it's a natural disaster no one is prepared for or warned over by." Minnie-unnie sat on the floor, leaning her back on the wall opposite the President's door.