16. Home Is Where The Hearts Are

So, this will seem a little out of order, because it alludes to the fact that LizBeth has already done the flashbacks of Wedding Of River Song. She has in my version, because it makes sense for her to have done it whenever her brother is asleep or distracted, which he has been. She's done it and she's been living with the knowledge, she just hasn't made the connection of how to use the Teselecta, that I very nearly just called the Tesseract. Guess what I've been watching?

This is going to just be a sad and cute sibling chapter, because they love each other to bits and she's terrified of leaving him. I'm sorry for the feels, but it's really sweet, too. Hope you like it, Butterflies. L.J xxx

The Doctor 

"Do you have a plan, Sissy? Sending them home, it just being the two of us?" I asked gently as we headed off again, leaving Amy and Rory just where they should be. That place was ready and waiting. She was just waiting for an excuse to send them home. "You don't do things unless there's a reason. So what reason did you have?"

"Do you remember when you were John Smith?"

Oh. Oh, human me. Human me who didn't want to become The Doctor again. "Why? Why are you asking me about that?"

Her eyes looked up at me again. "You remember how he felt, at the end, don't you? Those last moments, when you were still human, still that scared, crying man who just wanted a normal life with Joan, and, and Lilly-Beth, who you unconsciously knew as your sister, you remember it, don't you?"

Every time I closed my eyes. I remembered the feeling of being close to death, of that being death, for at least part of me. All of me being trapped in the Watch, but a great deal of my personality was still present. My heart, the way I loved, the way I felt, and my will to live. Even though I knew I was going to die the moment I hit that button. I was still brave, until the end. "Yes. Yes, I remember it."

"You knew you were going to die, that, that it really was the end, even though your body, exactly the same would live on. That's the closest either of us have really been to death." Why was she asking about death? It had been centuries since that, since we had both been human. Since I failed to see my baby sister in the broken and fragile little Lillian-Bethany Reacher. I almost got her killed more times than I could count. "How did it feel? Being on the brink of death, facing it, and knowing it would it would change everything for Martha and I. Knowing that you would do it anyway."

"I was terrified. Utterly pooping myself. Then he realised that death would come anyway, one day, and that as much as he loved Joan, he loved the planet and everyone else as well. Perhaps one person even more, and she needed the Doctor more than she needed John." Her head bowed again, eyes closed and I reached for her arm. "What is going on, Lizzy? Come on, Liz, whatever it is, you can tell me. Please, please, you are scaring me and you already do that enough, I can't help if you don't tell me."

To which she turned and wrapped her arms around me, hiding her face in my neck as she started crying. Not crying, weeping, sobbing. She was sad, and scared. "Hey, hey, it's alright. I've got you, it's alright. Hey, there's nothing bad going to happen, I won't let it. Nothing's gonna happen with your big brother here, I'll duff 'em up." That made her snort a little, laughing at how hilarious that picture probably was. "There we go. That's better. I don't like it when you cry, there was nothing I even did now, I listened and did what you said, I haven't made you mad." I saw her face as she pulled back, seeing that she really was sad. And scared, but she'd never admit that. "What is it, Sissy? You never do this, never. What's happening?"

"Doctor, you know that I love you, right? Know that I'm only harsh because I need you to know what you're doing if I'm not here to fix things. If you get into trouble, I need you to be able to get yourself out of it."