Chapter 02 // Contradictions and Consistency // Daily Life

I have to change my name. I can still hear her yelling it when I close my eyes.

Get it out get it out get it out get her out get me out help me-

Air flooded my lungs when I sat up in bed and instinctively grabbed for my pocket knife resting on the bedside table, knocking the glass of water to the floor.

I sucked my teeth in frustration, tapping on the lamp and swinging my legs over the side of the bed.

After cleaning the water, I realised it was probably close enough to the morning announcement to justify simply beginning my morning routine.

My hair is so long that cleaning it is a separate task I usually do in the evening, so I decided to put it in a large bun at the top of my head and stuff it into a shower cap.

I waited patiently for the water in the shower to heat up, and when the steam fogged up the glass shower door I stepped inside.

The warm water ran down my body yet I still shivered. Not hot enough. I turned the knob as far as it would go, and the water scalded my skin. No matter how hard I concentrated on the burning heat, I still felt the drip of the wet rain down my back from that day. I hate showers. Not just because of the wet pulling me back to that day, but also because I don't like what I'm stuck with, you get it?

The morning announcement played as I turned the shower off and stepped out of the shower, mumbling about the lack of bath options.

The almost-boiling water had caused me to turn a slight red colour and had certainly done damage to my skin. While I usually shower hot, this was something else. I hadn't realised just how scalding it was.

My body felt like it was melting, corroding away. I sat down on my bed with the towel tightly wrapped around myself, my head pounding with every beat of my heart.

Everyone makes mistakes, I guess. This was just...a huge one. I passed out on my bed.

When I came to maybe an hour later, it was because someone was repeatedly pushing my doorbell. I sat up wearily and reached for my HandScout, seeing a pile of messages awaiting me.

Fuyuko: Hey, you're still in your room. Everything okay?

Akari: HELLOOOOOO are u ok LOL

Lada: fUyuko is making me type to you why are y/ou still in bedq1

Brittany: Dude what are u doing in there.

Hironari: We are beginning to consider breaking down your door. Is everything okay?

Kanesuki: UGH i'm trying to do something and stupid hironari won't let me leave PLEASE just come out so i can fucking leave

Among others. The wave of concern was a little overwhelming, so I decided to type to the group chat instead of one by one.

Chiyo: I'm okay, I just slept in a little. I suppose I was tired last night. Sorry.

Fuyuko: Well, as long as you're okay.

Akari: thank god i was considering suicide I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD

Kanesuki: yeah ok bye

Harmony: System announcement! Monokuma has called a meeting in the courtyard in the middle of the triangle!

Makena: Isn't that normally done over the speakers?

Harmony: Yeah, but I thought it would be nice to shake things up!