⭒ INTERMISSION 03 - As Above, So Below ⭒

As the wind blew, the realisation dawned on me that the cold was fading out into warmth. One of the signs that I was about to freeze to death.

But all of a sudden, the cold stopped. In fact, I felt a comforting warmth immediately overcome me. I sat up and realised I wasn't wearing Lada's jacket anymore. In fact, I wasn't outside at all.

A white void greeted me. I turned my head around and saw a set of wooden doors. They opened, and out walked Fukushi, who I had seen die on the first day.

"You can't be here." I said.

"I'm not. You're the one who came to me, Hidemi."

"Oh." Is all I could say. "Is this..."

"The afterlife? Not quite. It's some kind of purgatory. Come in." He led me through the doors and into a movie theater.

Inside I was reunited with Junpei and Akimitsu, who explained what this place was.

"So we just...watch?" I said, sitting down on one of the chairs.

"Yep." Akimitsu nodded. "We're gonna watch the trial."

"The trial...for my murder?"

"Precisely." Junpei said. "How are you feeling?"

"A little overwhelmed. Just trying to remember what exactly happened."

"Yeah, it felt like that for all of us." He reassured me.

In time, we watched as Kanesuki was exposed as my murderer, and as Otoha was exposed as a serial killer, a twist I definitely didn't see coming.

"Jeez." I said after the execution was over. "I mean...that must have sucked to go through."

"Yeah. I feel bad. He didn't even mean to kill you."

I jumped down off my seat and began walking down the hall to welcome Kanesuki. He opened the door himself, locked eyes with me, and then slammed it shut.

I let a few minutes pass, but he still didn't come in.

I peeked my head out and saw him sitting on the edge of nothing, staring at the void.

"Are you okay?" I asked, sitting next to him. He didn't reply. "Don't wanna talk, huh?"

I swung my legs back and forth for a few minutes, waiting for him to talk to me.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"It's fine."

"No, it isn't. Cause you're dead now because of me."

"It's fine."

"No, it isn't! Because now I've done something I can't take back. You deserved to live, I didn't."

"Don't say that. I can't judge you for killing me, especially when Otoha did her best to push you to your limits. It's not your fault."

"It isn't..?"

"Well, of course you're still at fault for actually doing it, but you can't completely blame yourself. Right now, all that matters is the survivors working together. Now that you've exposed Otoha maybe they can do something about that too."

"Yeah. Maybe."

We sat in silence again for another couple of minutes.

"As above, so below, right?" Kanesuki said before pulling me into a hug. "Maybe if we get along they will, too."

"That's what I like to hear." I smiled, shooting to my feet. "Let's go inside."

Chapter 03Errors and Correct Assumptions Coming Soon

Chapter 03
Errors and Correct Assumptions
Coming Soon.