Going back

School's starting. Normally I would be excited but not this time. Most of my friends have moved away, got held back, or switched schools. When you go into high school, not many people go to the one they're closest to. Most want to get into a special choice program so they can decide on their career early. Not me. I stay on track, at least I try to. 10th grade doesn't have much to choose from.

I'm not interested in anything fancy. I like to keep things simple, I guess you could call me "old school". My day started like any other. First day outfit choice; pink Peter Pan collared shirt, light blue skinny jeans, black Converse shoes and a French manicure. Some pearls and a little ribbon bow around my ponytail. Nothing much.

I had Language Arts first period which was a total bore. Then History. After was Science. Our teacher explained the rules and regulations and handed out a paper for the parents to sign. The paper was handed back to me by a blonde boy with bright blue eyes. He gave me a shy smile and held the paper. He seemed sweet but was taking a little longer then I expected him to pass back the paper. I cleared my throat hoping he would realize I need the paper. The boy snapped himself back into reality and held out the paper for me to grab. I gave him a smile back and got my paper. I didn't understand his hair. It looked liked a JB hair-do brushed to the side of his face. He was alright. The teacher, Ms.Lupitz, called attendance. Lupitz reached the seventh student on the list, "Luke?". Silence. She tried again, "Luke Hemmings?" The boy in front of me spoke, "H-here".