Performance

Katherine's POV

Thursday. Ashton's band performance. I texted Taylor before going to school; Ready for the band performance?

She texted back; What time was it?

5, he wants u there 15 mins before it starts, I replied.

Ashton and Taylor have been friends for almost five years. One of them has to make a move soon. They are best friends. They've been through a lot together. Break ups, divorce, self harm. They can help eachother with anything. Taylor has been through a break up and Ashton helped her get over it with some ice-cream and Netflix at his house. His parents got divorced when he was young and he started to cut when he was fifteen. Taylor told him everything would be alright and helped him through his battle. The way he looks at her is magical. It seems a little over the edge but he gets a small smile across his face -dimple to dimple- and he tries to hide it. Tay may not see it, but I do.

My phone starts to ring-Taylor. I pick it up, "Hey Tayl-"

"What do I wear! Is this a date or casual hang out at school? Kat, Ashton never invited me to see him play before!"

I could tell she was nervous. I assured her that everything will go good and to stay calm. "Listen, what's in your closet?"

I could tell she was in a rush by the pitter-patter of her feet and the sounds of things being pushed out of her way, "I don't know my closet is a mess. Don't make me wear a dress, you know I hate dresses."

I don't know what got into her. She's always the one to tell me to calm down when I throw a fuss, not the other way around. "You're going to school- ya don't need a dress. If I came with you would that make things easier?"

"OH MY FUCK YES THANK YOU!!"

I rode my bike to her house. She was still deciding what to wear. Her brother, Trent, just rolled his eyes.Taylor is a backwoods, tom boy, country girl. She likes to hunt and play soccer. She's calm but will still kick someone's ass. I've never seen her so nervous before - neither has Trent. The only thing that could make her so nervous is Ashton. But it makes little to no sense. Unless-

Taylor walked out in a Fall Out Boy shirt, shorts, Sperry's and her hair in a braid, "Alright let's go, I'm not wasting my time on stupid clothes."

Now that's Taylor.

-·-

We step out of her mom's pick up

truck and walk into school. Her mom will be back around seven to pick us up. The halls are empty except for a janitor here and there. I walk with Taylor down a hall, then we turn a right and the auditorium is straight ahead.

"Where's all the parents? I thought the band is performing." Taylor noticed that too.

"They must already be in the auditorium. We are five minutes late, ya know?"

"Dumbass, the parking lot is empty. You think the parents dropped themselves off here like us?"

She was right, only the janitors and teachers who stay to tutor are here.

We reach the double doors and the only thing visible through the small window is a drum kit. No parents. No band members. No body is in there. Taylor looks just as confused as I am. "Kat did Ashton tell you if he was going to meet me somewhere?"

"Nope just what he said in Art. Well you go ahead, I'll keep an eye out." She'd be more safe in an empty room compared to an empty hall where anyone could barge into any minute. Ashton wanted her - not me. Yeah we're friends and all but I only know him though Taylor. We don't have as close of an relationship as he does with Taylor. She walks through the door and I'm on the other side giving her a thumbs up through the glass. She returns the favor with her middle finger. She's just nervous. Ashton asked her to go with him to the movie theater on Valentine's Day. Neither of them had a Valentine but he was there for her. Ashton always was. When I was still in Florida she talked to me over the phone about how nice he was to her.