Volcano

Katherine's pov

Luke and I went to his house around 3:15-ish. His house was pretty far from mine. We've been driving for twenty minutes now. The same image of tall grass, weak wooden face, trees, telephone polls and wires, birds flying above the clouds and an occasional plane or car was constantly on repeat. "How far's your house?" I asked trying not to seem impatient. Blink-182 was playing on a low volume because Liz didn't like it when Luke blasted the radio.
"'Bout five or so minutes. We'll be there soon. You're not allergic to dogs are you?"
I shook my head, "Nope."
We sat in a calm silence for the remaining time. Blink-182 and All Time Low broke the silence and made it more relaxing. Not that going to a boy's house for the first time is relaxing but the rock music was soothing. The music shook off any idea or feeling of awkwardness.

Luke's house was huge. It was really nice too. When we stepped out of the car his dog ran up to us barking playfully. The dog sniffed me, inhaling my new unfamiliar scent.
"Aw hi," I greeted the dog with a smile and pet her. Her tail wagged and she rolled over. I looked up at Luke, the sun behind him creating a outline of sunshine, "What's her name?"
"Molly," Luke squatted down next to his dog smiled, petting his dog.
"Don't you kids have a volcano to explode?" Liz joked, inviting us inside.
"Oh yeah," Luke scratched behind his neck, "C'mon." Luke waved his hand toward the house.

His house was even bigger inside. We followed Liz through the house. At the kitchen table, Luke's father waved hi at me and I waved back. We reached the back of the house and Liz opened the porch door, "That volcano better not burn my house down." Liz warned sarcastically. "Funny mom," Luke rolled his eyes.

We sat down outside because it was too much of a mess to make inside. First step was to make the base. Luke and I used part of an styrofoam cone to determine the size. We used tinfoil as our base. Next was clay. Luke rolled some into his hands, demonstrating how to shape it. He was sweet. He showed me how to put it on -even though it was self explanatory.
"You have to make sure it sticks but not too much to rip off the tinfoil. And not too little because you don't want it to fall off," Luke explained as he placed some clay on the base. I put some on too, trying to make it would stay on. "No, like this-" he guided my hand so I could do it correctly. His hands were warm and made me feel comfortable.
I looked up at him and our eyes met. I got lost in the seven oceans his eyes possessed. Two baby blues. Deep yet bright blue. Such a luminous color.
My cheeks blushed and I mumbled, "sorry" and removed my gaze.
"No it's okay," Luke placed his hand on mine, meeting my eyes again, "I like your eyes. They're pretty"
I smiled, "Thank you" and we continued the volcano.
After we covered the tinfoil in clay it was time to paint. Our volcano is planned to be brown with red, glittery lava. We painted it together.
Luke accidentally painted a smear of paint on my hand, "Hey." I booped his nose with my paint brush.
His accent was strong, "What the hell was that for?" He attempted to wipe it off with his knuckles. Which for some reason I found adorable.
"Hehe, payback."
Luke seemed understanding, "Okie dokie then," he took his paint brush and painted a stripe down my cheek.
"Aye, what're you trying to do Luke!"
He laughed, "Having a little bit of fun!"
I flung paint from my brush back at Luke hiting him in the arm. He threw paint back at me. I had to put my hand up in defense ,"Hey!" I squealed when the paint hit the side of my face. We kept throwing paint at eachother. Luke is fun to hang around with.
"What are you two doing?" Liz asked putting her hands on her hips.

"Uh oh," Luke mumbled dropping his paint brush onto the grass.

Liz walked outside, "Clean up the mess please. Then you'll have to take a shower to clean yourselves up." She walked back inside shaking her head in disappointment.
When she disappeared inside Luke and I laughed. He grabbed the paint brushes off the grass and put them to the side, organizing the materials.
"C'mon. We have to clean up," Luke put his hand out for me to grab. I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up onto my feet.
"Thanks," I brushed the grass off my shorts. Luke picked up the volcano and put them onto the patio table. He came back to grab the supplies and grabbed my hand, taking me under the covered patio.