Magnanimous

The drive from the airport to Plan's orphanage was mostly unrelenting silent just the same it was in when they were in flight. Phupha kept attempting to talk to Plan but all Plan did was nod or said just a simplistic yes or No and subsequently, Phupha drained of his futile efforts drifted to sleep. Both sides of the window seats of the car were occupied by different people. One side Plan sitting watching outside with both hands curled on the window and head settled on it harmoniously staring everything passing by and leaving behind and another side it was Tul occupying the window which was closed but eyes set on the afflicting boy and Phupha in middle sleeping peacefully jetlagged from the flight.

The clouds were black and white. Galloping fast to fill the sky. The scent of rain filled the sky. A storm brew from the horizon. Falling water drops staining the ground like tears. Plan didn't even close the car window or pulled himself back inside the car when the rain commenced.

Petrichor is the terminology science used to explain why most people are so captivated with the scent of rain when it first fell on dry soil. It is the scent produced when rain falls onto dry soil or ground. As the rain falls onto very dry soil, they trap tiny air bubbles on the surface. These air bubbles are a combination of fragrant chemical compounds. But science can't explain everything why would someone like something so usual. People like unusual and distinctive things. Isn't it? But Plan was a usual person who likes the usual things. He loved the after olfaction of rain. It made him feel like a totally new person and help him to boost his mood. He kept gazing and exploring every person out there in the rain to whom their car was passing. His face was already soaked with the diminutive rain droplets.

The children were cavorting in the rain just like he used to do in his childhood sometimes even now too. An old couple was sitting in a bus stand waiting for their bus enjoying the smell of rain-drenched soil. Also, observing a woman in a hurry to save her dried clothes from getting wet. Finally, he pulled his head back inside the car thinking about stupid things. He turned to look at Tul who was busy reading some heavy medical book from time to time watching out of the closed window glimpsing at the pearl-like raindrops striking the car window and then slackly tumbling down. The driver has already turned on some soothing music making the whole ambiance impeccable and complete.

"Romantic and Nostalgic. Isn't it?" Plan asked and Tul automatically turned to look at Plan with the questionable face.

"The soothing music and the rain and the dumbbell weighted book." Plan replied and Tul smiled.

"With this book, we can call it medically romantic. How do you like to describe the rain in your own words and style?" Tul asked trying to stretch the conversation and with thinking Plan replied.

"The scent of rain, the cool and refreshing breeze, icecream in hand nothing else to describe the rainy days and its romantic pour for me." Plan replied finally smiling after the whole two disheartening days.

Most of the left destination was mostly silent or small talks took place between them. As they reached the orphanage it was already dark and uncle Ben was present at the main gate. He helped Plan inside and Tul took the sleeping Phupha inside.

"Everybody is asleep after dinner. Once kids knew you are coming it becomes impossible for me to put kids to sleep. They were excited to meet you." Uncle Ben informed as they moved to the sleeping room of the kids. Tul laid Phupha on one and only empty beds and Plan fixed the fallen quilts of some of the kids and had a glance of sleeping beauty in the cradle.

"No beds are empty we have a make a different sleeping arrangement. Why don't you guys take my bed and I can make my bed in the kitchen?" Uncle Ben suggested but Plan stopped him totally aware of his arthritis condition.