Chapter 1

Chloe's POV

I sat on my bed as I stared blankly at a picture of my parents and wondered how things fell apart? What went wrong? What had they not done right? I sighed as I laid back on my pillow and wept in silence.

It hurt so much knowing that my mother was somewhere in the world, happy in another man's arms with her new family. How does one abandon her own daughter at 17 years of age? I thought we had a bond, I thought we had a relationship just like any other mother and daughter out there. Most people are fortunate to have their mothers with them, some aren't as fortunate. At times I wish I was part of the unfortunate ones.

She left my father without air, when he needed her the most, she left him cold. How could someone be so deranged? Due to the loss, he had a stroke. My father has been in and out of the hospital since I was a baby but after the loss, it became way too much for me to handle. He eventually lost his job and I had to take care of him. The hospital became his second home and our house...well, it became empty. Really empty.

While in school, I was in between two jobs to help pay for my father's debts. I had no time to myself, no time to hangout but I managed to make friends at work. They stayed at my house now and then to keep me company and basically, to fill up the emptiness. I managed to finish my high school but I couldn't get a loan to further my studies. It was truly difficult for my father and me.

The final blow hit when I found out that he was diagnosed with stage 3 Cancer. I totally lost my mind. I couldn't lose my father, he was my best friend, my teacher, my brother and father all in one. Gosh! He was the love of my life. He comforted me at my lowest point, even as I was jobless, he was always positive about things. It made me wonder how I never saw him shed a tear for my mom. Never! He was addicted to her. He was always smiling even at his worst and I respected that so much. He never for once talked bad of my mother, that would be me and he'd scold me for it. I never understood his actions but I did want a man like him one day. Someone that has your back even when you do them dirty. Mad respect.

I was ashamed of what I had become, what I had involved myself into and if my father was to find out, I honestly don't know what he'd do. He was very unpredictable and I was only doing it for him to get better. So that he gets the proper medication and treatment, I needed him to be alive for me. There are no words in the world to describe how filthy I felt but in due time, it'll all be worth it.

I got a second job at a day care but it wasn't enough to get me through the day after deductions. So a friend helped me out to babysit her 2 year old son, Daniel. How happy I was to find out that Daniel was a quiet baby. Like all you had to do was feed him, bath him, change him and give him his toys to play with and you're sorted. He didn't cry unless he wanted to go to the garden. If he was tall enough to reach the door handle, no one would even notice that he wasn't around due to his strong game of being silent.

I slowly realised how Daniel began to like me. One thing Daniel was known for other than his quietness...his selfishness. Daniel was selfish! He could take a whole plate of meat, smile at you and walk away, if you try to take a piece, he'll bite you. I'm shocked that he offers me meat. Not like I did anything special with him, I guess kids just loved me.

I'd like to HEAR from you & please VOTE