12

5-year-old Jaeyoon swung his legs as he felt a cool autumn breeze brush past his hair. He closed his eyes as the air blew by and sighed a breath of content. The young boy couldn't imagine a better feeling as he waited for a certain raven-haired boy to come walking towards him any second now. The anticipation was almost too much to bear and it showed on the boy's face as a smile the size of a crescent moon was hanging from his ears. Everything was perfect - not just the breeze but the weather, the color of the trees, even the ants gathering on the ground below him. 

Sure, it was about 40 degrees Fahrenheit and Jaeyoon was only wearing a windbreaker which was not living up to its name as he could feel the wind blowing through. However, Jaeyoon didn't notice the cold at all. In fact, he felt warm inside just thinking about meeting the boy he was waiting for.

Jaeyoon waited. And kept waiting. 

He waited until he started to notice the cold that crept past his jacket. He didn't know the exact time but he knew that Sunghoon should have come by now. The smile that was on his face had faded while a small pout began to take its place. 

Why hadn't Sunghoon come? Just last week they had gotten ice cream together and now, they knew a lot about each other. Jaeyoon even knew exactly when Sunghoon had to go to his academy. He offered to walk him there on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but Sunghoon had declined. Wait, was that a sign? Was that Sunghoon telling Jaeyoon that he didn't want to see him? Jaeyoon had worked so hard so that Sunghoon would like him. Had he done something wrong?

Jaeyoon's pout turned into a downright frown as he stood up and began walking away from all hope that he might meet the timid boy he wanted to see with all his heart.

But then, his own thoughts caused him to cling on to one last hope; one last thing that he could try. The boy lifted his head as he put on a face of determination and started to walk, his stance full of purpose.

It was definitely cold, Jaeyoon began to realize as a brisk wind made him shiver. He really wished he had worn thicker clothes as he stood outside of a large brick building that looked like it belonged on the streets of 19th century London. 

Above the main entrance, a sign declared the building to be, 'GATE English Academy'. 

Jaeyoon could see lights coming from the windows above as his body shivered.

'If Sunghoon won't come to me, I'll go to him,' Jaehoon thought to himself. He knew Sunghoon's class would end soon. 

'Besides, if he didn't want me to come, he would never have told me when his classes were,' Jaeyoon told himself. Just a few more minutes...

Just then, Jaeyoon heard footsteps coming from inside the building. Small at first, but it grew louder until it was a thundering noise as dozens of students began to exit through the main doors. 

There were so many of them that Jaeyoon's heart started pounding as he felt a sense of panic build up inside of him. He frantically searched the crowd until he saw him - the boy he was so desperate to see. 

Jaeyoon waited until Sunghoon was near him before saying, "S-sunghoon!"

His teeth were nearly chattering, but he felt warmer as soon as he saw the black-haired boy.