17

"Mom, mom, mom-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sunghoon's mom turned around and saw her 5-year-old son running towards her with a clump of paper in his hands. 

"MOM!!!" Sunghoon continued as he waved the bundle in front of his mother's eyes.

"Sunghoon, calm down," his mother exclaimed as she held the young boy.

"I did it! I finished everything! It's all done!" Sunghoon said with a beaming smile. 

"Oh?" Sunghoon's mother tilted her head as she took the papers from Sunghoon. "Already?"

Sunghoon squirmed as he waited for his mother to examine the papers that he had just given her. She was carefully inspecting each page and raised an eyebrow when she had finished scanning the last page.

"You've never finished your homework this quickly before," she said with a smirk. "I would have asked Jaeyoon to sit next to you if I knew how motivated you would be."

"MOM!" Sunghoon cried out as a faint pink hue formed on his cheeks. 

"On second thought, I doubt you would be able to concentrate on anything if you were with him-"

"MOM!!!" Sunghoon shouted as his face turned into a deeper shade of red. 

Sunghoon's mother chuckled at her son's reaction. "Okay, okay. So, I guess tomorrow you can spend the day with Jaeyoon. What are you going to do?"

Sunghoon forgot about his embarrassment as he tried to think of things to do with his friend. His face scrunched up as he racked his brain for ideas of things Jaeyoon might like to do. 

"Well... Jaeyoon likes ice-cream!" Sunghoon said after a moment of thought. "His favorite place is the supermarket!"

A smile appeared on Sunghoon's mom as she watched her son happily searching for things that his friend might like to do. 

"You know," she said. "Since you did such a nice job, I could take you to the ice-rink tomorrow."

Sunghoon's eyes widened as he heard his mother speak and he was frozen in that state. 

Sunghoon's mom glanced at the shocked, unmoving boy. 

"Unless, of course, if you don't want to-"

"NO!" Sunghoon shouted as he came out of his stunned state with a smile on his face. "Of course I want to! Can we? Can we?"

Sunghoon's mother's smile widened. "Of course we can, sweetheart."

Sunghoon beamed at his mother. He loved going to the ice-rink. It was a place where you were encouraged to move however you wanted along a white surface. Normally, the only "white surface" Sunghoon ever saw were the worksheets that had black curves and lines on them telling you what to do and where to do it. But on the ice, there were no lines to box him in. There were no questions and there were no answers. There was just freedom.