Chapter Four

The captain did his duty to stay by the Duchess' side. He watched as she stood by the window that overlooked the majestic body of water. His mistress enjoyed the sunshine that fell down on her,

How could such lively flower bloom in this lonely palace life? How could such a pure soul continue to thrive in this twisted palace court?

Her delicate hands touched the piano. The lieutenant closed his eyes as the sweet melody of the piano engulfed his ears. Lessons were conducted for the duchess' etiquette.

"Maari bang ika'y mahiram muna, Kapitan? Nag eensayo ang dukesa sa pagsasayaw, kung mamarapatin ay ikaw ang magiging kapareha niya?" the court lady asks.

He could not disagree with such a request.

"Maari bang ikaw ay isayaw, Binibini?" he asks.

He was already well versed in waltz and needed not to be told by the court lady on what to do. She reservedly gave her hand to him.

He placed his right hand on her back and held her right hand delicately in his left hand. The music then engulfed the room they were in.

He softly guided her across the room with grace and caution. Their trance-like state was cut off when Anastasiya stepped on his foot.

"P-Patawad, ginoo." she pipped.

"Ayos lang, hindi naman masakit. Ikaw ay nag aaral pa kaya dapat mahaba ang pasensya ko sa inyo." The captain smiled.

They continued on, with Lukas leading her again. Her floor-length saya swished as he led her around. Anastasiya glanced up at him: the captain was lost in those eyes.

He made a bold move as he spun her around. It was a move she had not been taught yet. She momentarily lost balance as he accidentally let go of her hand.

She toppled over the floor.

The captain attempted to make his move but Alejandro beat him to it. Holding out his hand to Anastasiya, he stood his wife up.

"Bastaría con bailar por hoy (That would be enough dancing for today)." Alejandro tells the court lady curtly.

"Ayos lang po ba kayo?" Lukas said as he made his way towards her. "Patawarin mo ako kung nabitawan ko ang kamay nyo." He said.

"Ayos lang, Kapitan. Hindi ko rin kasi nakita ang daan." Anastasiya smiles.

"Andito naman ako, Lukas. Ako na ang bahala kay Anastasiya, maari mo na kaming iwan." Alejandro says as he took his wife's hand.

He was left standing in the ballroom. With his world, bleak and stark. With a heart that cannot flee with the loving smile of his mistress. The hopeless dream should vanish; a love so foolish that is bound to kill him.

----------

Anastasiya stared at her husband while he checked her ankle. She was in his study after he stole her away from her waltz practice.

"Are you sure you are okay? Mukhang masama bagsak mo kanina." Alejandro asked.

"Ayos lang ako, Alejandro. Wag kang mag alala, at hindi masyadong malala ang pagbagsak ko." Anastasiya said as she held his hand tenderly.

"Es mejor estar segura.(Its better to be sure.)" Alejandro said.

Satisfied with no damage, Alejandro sat down next to her. Looking into her eyes, he spoke:

"I'm sorry, kung may pagkukulang ako sa iyo-" Anastasiya cut him off.

Her brows furrowed as she sighed deeply.