Chapter Nineteen

"Dapat nasa bahay ka na, Alejandro. Hindi yung kinukulong mo yung sarili mo dito sa opisina. Malapit na manganak si Stasiya tapos wala ka pa sa tabi nya?"he chuckles as Alejandro was burying himself in paperworks.

Carlos had stopped by in his brother's office in the Real Audencia. He had seen his brother being cooped up with his nature of work rather than staying at home. The older prince had a hunch yet did not voice out what it was.

"Naiintindihan naman ni Anastasiya na may trabaho ako, Kuya. She's fine with it," The general counters as he did not leave his gaze from the paperworks he was reading.

"Asus, Alejandro. Di mo ako madadaan sa palusot mo." Carlos said as he walked closer to his brother's desks. "Away mag-asawa?"

Alejandro could only chuckle in response. He could not afford to break their cover now that his wife was due to give birth a few weeks from now. He needed to stay in cover for their safety. Carlos may be his brother, but the general's years in the military had taught him that he shall trust no one.

"Anastasiya and i are fine, kuya." the general attempts to squash his brother's doubt. It seemed to work after all as Carlos' visibly relaxed. The general could only sigh in relief internally as the storm seemed to have passed. He had nearly blown their cover as newlyweds who were deeply in love.

"Kuya Alejandro!" Ariella's voice could be heard from outside of his office. The two brothers could only sigh in disbelief as their younger sister stormed inside the general's office.

"Ay sus ginoo, Ariella." Carlos drawls. "Makasigaw ka parang walang bukas. Mahiya ka naman at infanta ka ng imperyong ito." he reprimands his sister yet Ariella paid him no mind at all.

She had gathered her skirts and went closer to the general who was busy with his works. The infanta anxiously walked towards her and contemplated if she was doing the right thing. She whacked him on the head just like she used to when they were children.

"¿Para que era eso? (What was that for?) How dare you hit your brother who is a general to this empire?" Alejandro furiously shot and Ariella only rolled her eyes. Carlos knew that this was their useless banter after all as the two grew up much closer than ever since they were children.

"Eres mi hermano antes de convertirte en general de este imperio.(You are my brother before you became a general to this empire)" the infanta spoke with a fluent Spanish tongue. "Anong ginagawa mo dito sa opisina at iniwan mong mag-isa si Ate? Alejandro Novales, ewan ko na lang sa iyo." she scoffed.

"Uuwi na din ako, tatapusin ko lang to." Alejandro promises as he went back to the work he was supposed to finish. The siblings remained in Alejandro's office for quite some time after all. The telephone rang in the general's office. It's ringing definitely caught the attention of the people inside. Ariella, who was the nearest to the telephone: stood up to receive the call instead.

"¿Hola?(Hello?)" The infanta greets in spanish. The two brothers already knew that the person on the other end of the line is a member of the working class. Ariella only answers the telephone in tagalog or english when talking to family and acquaintances.

"No, esta es la Infanta Ariella del Imperio Filipino. ¿Cuál es tu preocupación? (No, this is Infanta Ariella of the Philippine Empire. What is your concern?)"

The two princes deduced that the person on the line mistook the infanta for Alejandro. A serious expression has graced the serene features of the oldest infanta of the empire. There was an unmistakable look of fear in her eyes as she chewed her bottom lip.

"¿La duquesa? Anong ibig mong sabihin?" The infanta's brows furrowed as she struggled to comprehend the urgent voices at the end of the line. "Si, naintindihan ko..."