Chapter Fifteen

The morning after Anastasiya's conversation with Dolores felt too peaceful. Waking up in the casa felt like a dream after all. It was a bright sunny day with no sign of clouds looming over the sky.

It felt too perfect.

"Tulog ka na nung nakauwi ako," Alejandro said as he placed the breaksfast tray on the foot of the bed. He smiled warmly towards his wife. "Gusto mo ba sa balcony tayo magbreakfast?"

The duchess of the Casa Ladrillo had no choice but to nod her head in agreement. Her husband assisted her and fell in step behind her. The table was filled with all sorts of what she would like for breakfast. It was a typical Filipino breakfast which consisted of rice, adobo flakes and sunny side up eggs. The general then poured her a cup of hot cocoa to accompany their breakfast.

"Sabihin mo lang if ayaw mo, Stasiya. If you want something else, pwede naman tayo magpaluto." Alejandro rambles as he failed to notice his wife was already eating her breakfast. "On a second thought, mukhang hindi na pala."

Anastasiya's doe eyes met his. Alejandro managed to stifle his chuckle in fear of offending his wife. The general then remembered that his relationship with his wife was still strained by the previous events that happened. His train of thought was interrupted by the sound of a cellphone ringing.

Anastasiya stopped eating briefly to answer her phonecall. She wordlessly excused herself and Alejadro deduced that it was a matter of private information that she cannot reveal to him. Moments after, his wife returned to her seat.

"Is there something wrong?" Alejandro asks.

"Wala naman." Anastasiya answers as she eyed her husband. "Tumawag lang ang aking ina at ibinalita nyang nakauwi na ang aking kapatid na galing Madrid. Nais nya sanang makabisita ako kahit mabilis lang."

Alejandro inhales sharply. The general knew it himself that he was willing to let her visit her childhood home however he knew that the Empress would never allow it. An expectant mother of the imperial family was forbidden to leave the palace premises in accordance to his safety. Anastasiya immediately understood his silence.

His eyes drifted to her hand that rested on the table. He slowly tried to grasp her hand into his but found himself unable to do so.

'Everything takes time,' Alejandro said to himself.

Anastasiya who he thought was oblivious to his actions, retracted her hand back. Silence engulfed the both of them awkwardly.

"I know alam mo na kung pwede lang ay pinayagan na kita. However, protocol is protocol. Sana maintindihan mo iyon."

He grabbed her hand and placed a kiss on her knuckles. His wife's uncertain eyes met his pleading ones.

                                                                            ——————

Anastasiya had come across a meadow that looked as if she stepped inside of the classic novels she read. The grass spanned across the area and it reached above her thighs. The grass seemed to sway as if it was dancing. The mountains in the distance seemed to be in contrast as it was pointy and seemed harsh whereas the greenery seemed to be peaceful.

It was as if the meadow was art itself. Art was not supposed to look nice.

"Salamat sa pagdala mo sa akin dito, Kapitan Ibarra." Anastasiya said as she snapped out of the trance-like state the meadow had entrapped her in.

The captain let out a chuckle.

"Wala iyon, mahal na dukesa. Mukha naman kasing kailangan niyo ng katahimikan kahit papano." Lukas said as he got off the horse he rode in.