Chapter Twenty Seven

After her interaction with the ladies. Anastasiya found herself walking towards the emperor's study in order to find her son. According to her lady in waiting, Elias was whisked away by the emperor and brought him to his study. Anastasiya gently opens the door as she was careful to not make any noise.

She did not want to startle her son as the empress knew he was quite fussy with sounds.

Anastasiya found her husband and son on his desk. Elias was propped up on his father's non dominant arm as he attempted to busy himself in paperworks. The interaction between the father and son brought joy to the empress. It was such a bittersweet joy to see him shower their son with love and affection.

"Elias, huwag na huwag mong pahihirapan ang mama mo."the emperor said as Elias' attention was on him. Anastasiya smiled as her son looked attentively to his father as he spoke. "Lumaki kang matapang ngunit manatiling busilak ang puso mo. Lubusin mo ang panahong bata ka pa at huwag kang magmadali. Nandito kami ng mama mo upang gabayan ka. Pinapangako kong nasa tabi mo ako kahit napaka makabuluhan ng mundong ito, huwag kang matakot."

Anastasiya had been terrified if Alejandro were to treat their son differently as their marriage was falling apart. The empress had spent countless sleepless nights over thinking the fact that her husband was still in love with the ghosts of the past. She had thought that he would not be able to shower their son attention just because he was her son.

To see him interact with their son was already enough for her. It did not matter if she had to weep in silence for craving the love she had deserved. Anastasiya knew it in herself that she would not deprive her son the love that Alejandro seldomly shows her. The empress knew it in herself that she was willing to do everything for her son.

Even if it was to weep in silence in order to give him what he deserves.

Anastasiya gently closed the door.

"Stasiya?" Alejandro calls out.

The empress stops in her tracks. To hear him say his nickname for her was like a thousand butterflies in her stomach. He had called her with such endearment and fondness. It was a stark contrast to the monotone and stiff tone he used to speak with her. Anastasiya's lips quivered.

"Y-Yes?" She replies, tears began forming from the corner of her eyes.

She could hear his footsteps as he walked closer towards her as the emperor opened the door. The empress spun around and faced her husband. Elias remained asleep in his father's arms. Anastasiya remembered a distinct memory where their son would only sleep in Alejandro's arms. The prince was a heavy sleeper once placed in the arms of the emperor.

"Hinahanap ko kasi si Elias. Nagbaka sakali lang ako kung nandito siya sa iyo...." Anastasiya trailed off. "Mukhang mahimbing na tulog niya kaya hindi ko na kayo iistorbohin mag ama..." she added as she attempted to leave.

Alejandro had grabbed her wrist before she could leave.

Her heart raced as the emperor's hold on her tightened. Suddenly she did not know: of what was she supposed to feel? His touch was like fire coursing through her veins. Old feelings resurfaced yet Anastasiya knew she had to squash that in order to not get hurt any further. It is the only way she can live peacefully.

"W-What?"Anastasiya asks, confusion could be seen in her eyes.

"Stay." The emperor simply said.

Alejandro's actions were slowly confusing her. One minute he despises her greatly and the next minute he seemed to be the man who had fallen in love with her. She did not know if it was all a trap. A ploy to hurt her once more as she knew that this marriage was just for his revenge. She was just a tool for revenge.