Chapter Sixteen

The recent events felt like cold water splashed onto the duchess' face. She had requested to spend some time in her childhood home in order to get away from the unsettling presence of the palace grounds. The emperor did let her go, Anastasiya was on her way to the Andrada Manor, and Consuela accompanied her as usual.

The duchess stepped out of the carriage and the familiar view of the Andrada Manor came to her view. Although the Andrada clan had lived in other countries for the past couple of years, the hacienda was well maintained. Consuela followed behind her mistress with wide eyes. The duchess's mother, Adelita Andrada was waiting in the steps of the Andrada's ancestral home.

"Salamat naman at nakarating kang ligtas. Pumasok na kayo at baka mahamogan pa kayo," Adelita said, concern lacing her voice.

"Ate? Buti nakadayo ka?"

A tall dark-haired man who bore the same compassionate brown eyes as the duchess rushed to hug his sister. Anastasiya barely recognized her younger brother who had grown to be a handsome young man.

"Antonio!! Mahiya ka naman! Magbigay galang ka naman sa miyembro ng pamilyang imperyal." The Andrada matriach reprimanded.

"Mas nauna ko siya maging kapatid kaysa paglingkuran ang pamilyang imperyal. Halos hindi ko na nga siya nakita dahil ikinasal siya kay Heneral Novales," Antonio complained but became silent when his mother gave him a stern look.

"Hay nako, pagpahingahin mo muna ang ate mo. Mahigpit na pinagbabawal na mapagod iyan lalo't nagdadalantao siya."

Everyone got inside as the winds blew harder and the sun was beginning to set. It took a whole day to reach the Andrada Manor from the palace. The Andrada matriarch certainly knew her daughter was already exhausted from her travel. It was already morning when Anastasiya heard her phone ringing.

She groggily rolled near her bedside to grab her phone. It was Alejandro calling her early in the morning.

"Ang aga aga..." Anastasiya mutters sleepily as she dove back in her covers. She could her Alejandro chuckling over the other line. The sleepy duchess could only roll her eyes at her husband.

"Nagising ba kita?" He asks.

"Malamang!" Anastasiya said in a playful tone.

"Sorry na po" Alejandro apologizes. "Kagabi sana ako tatawag pero ang sabi sa akin ay nakatulog ka na. I just wanted to check on you."

"Ikaw or utos ng emperatris?" Anastasiya teases. She certainly knew well that the empress was wary of her departure from the palace.

"Anong akala mo sa akin, walang pakialam sa asawa?" Alejandro chuckles at their pointless banter. "Kung hindi lang ako busy ay sana sinamahan kita diyan. Sana kahit papano ay gumaan ang pakiramdam mo. Oh sige na, i will not keep you waiting pa. I love you."

She had ended the call before she could have reciprocated his display of affection. Anastasiya knew that she does love her husband however with the given situatiom, she found herself unable to express it.

The duchess could only bury her face in her pillows. Drowsiness had left her wide awake as she stared in the ceiling of her former room.

She did not have to ponder too long as Consuela came in to wake her up.

She had lounged in the hacienda's veranda that overlooked the gardens that she used to play in since she was a little child. She was left to her own devices as her lady-in-waiting was preoccupied with something else. She enjoyed the silence which was a rarity in the palace. The manor had given her a peace of mind for the meantime. She may be the duchess, yet Anastasiya cannot deny that her every movement was watched by certain people.