Chapter Eleven

AN:
The last parts of the chapter contain various themes of murder and violence. If your not comfortable to read it, you can skip.

Amazing grace.

How sweet the sound. That saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found; Was blind, but now I see.

True enough, Anastasiya's pregnancy was her saving grace. The empress completely forgot about the duchess committing treason the moment they received the news that Anastasiya was with child. A mass was held in honor of the new addition to the royal family.

"Felicidades(Congatulations)! Ako'y nakatitiyak na naghahangad na ng lalaking apo ang emperador at emperatris." The governor-general said as he kissed the back of the expectant duchess' hand. 

"Gracias,Gobernador Heneral..." Anastasiya said softly.

"Ako'y nagagalak na marinig na ika'y nagdadalantao na,iha..." The empress said quite joyfully, though Anastasiya did not know if it was just an act.

"Ipagdadasal kong maging ligtas ang pagdadalantao niyo, mahal na dukesa..." One of the noble ladies approached her.

"Lalo't narinig namin na kagagaling nyo lang po sa malubhang karamdaman..."

A terrible illness? Anastasiya would have snorted. 

She staggered back slowly. Was it due to the heat? Alejandro noticed that and made his way towards her. His arm wrapped around her waist and turned to the ladies.

"Ayos ka lang?" he whispers in her ear discretely

"Disculpen señoras (Excuse me, ladies)" The general spoke in eloquent Spanish. "Ako'y nalulungkot na maudlot ang usapan ninyo ngunit kailangan ko nang iuwi si Anastasiya." he adds.

He gazed at her quickly before reverting his attention back to them.

"Mukhang nahihilo na ang asawa ko." he said and ushered her out of the crowd.

Once they were in the kalesa, she unconsciously laid her head on his shoulder. He stiffened at her sudden display of affection. Anastasiya retreated back and sat a distance from him. 

"S-Sorry, nasanay lang ako." she mumbles.

Alejandro pulled her closer towards him. He took her hand and squeezed it gently. He stared into her big doe-like eyes.

"Di ba sabi ko gagawin ko ang lahat, kalilimutan natin ang nangyari?"he reminds her. "I mean it," Alejandro said straightforwardly.

Alfredo Andrada was waiting for them in the Casa's solar. He had a look of melancholic expression which was a stark contrast to the joyous occasion that the royal family is celebrating.

"Maiwan ko muna kayo, Ginoong Andrada." Alejandro said as he gave them a bit of privacy to talk.

------------------------

"Bringing a child into the world is a joyous occasion." Alfredo starts. "But with this empire, you are certainly knocking on the death's door."

Anastasiya remained silent as she understood what her grandfather meant. Giving birth to a son would give her unnecessary power and the trouble that goes with it. The duchess did not want that.

No child of hers is to be used in the political power struggle in this empire. She was not desperate enough to use children for power. She isn't Maria Contessina, or whoever the woman Carlos was with now.

"Hindi sa sinisira ko ang okasyon, Aya..." he said with apprehension. "Nababahala lang ako, andaming pwedeng mangyari sa iyo. Sa kalagayan mo pa lang ay maaring pag initan ka, paano pa kapag naibigay mo ang lalaking apong inaasam-asam nila?"