Chapter Eighteen

The silence within the aftermath of her husband's outburst was far too much to bear. The casa felt peaceful amidst the melodramatic moment it had witnessed last night. The couple sat down in Alejandro's study. The once happy newlyweds were now in a somber mood.

It seems that the newlywed bliss had left them for the harsh reality they were about to face.

"Was this marriage intended for you to exact revenge on my family?" Anastasiya began. She had a habit of switching to english when faced with overwhelming emotions.

"Anastasiya Katherine!" Alejandro barked. He was certainly not amused with this conversation. The general had her summoned to have a civil conversation with her. If he had known this would sever their relationship further, he should not have her summoned at all. He had expected that her mind was already cool from the heated events last night.

"Bakit defensive ang tono mo?" Anastasiya chuckles as she rolled her eyes. She crossed her arms and stafed directly to her husband.

"Tinawag kita upang mag usap tayo. Magkabati upang hindi na lumala pa ang isyung to." Alejandro replied as he slowly massaged his temple.

"Just answer my question, Alejandro." The duchess's eyes were filled with scorn and hatred. The general felt her iron gaze drilling holes in the back of his head. "Did you marry me so you could get back at my family? Knowing si Lolo ang nagcarry out ng orders ng ama mo upang patayin ang mga De Balmens?" She accused him.

"Hindi toto-" Alejandro attempted to speak yet he was cut off by his wife.

"Yun ang totoo!" she raises her voice. At the moment, her cool facade was gone in a blink of an eye and was replaced by a vulnerable yet miserable Anastasiya. "Wag na tayo maglokohan, Alejandro. Mas lalo ka lang nababaon sa mga kasalanan mo sa akin sa bawat pagtanggi mo."

A stray tear fell from her eye and she quickly wiped it away yet the general saw that stray tear. In that moment, he barely recognized his wife. What did this palace life do to the young and carefree woman?

"Hindi ako tanga, Alejandro." The duchess spat bitterly. She had enough of this games already. "I was naive. You took the chance knowing i was an Andrada. A woman like me was easy to manipulate di ba? By hurting me, naipaghihiganti mo yung childhood lover mo?"

"Te equivocas (You are mistaken)" he replied briskly.

"Nababahala ako on how far you can go in order for that De Balmen girl. I am your wife, Alejandro. Sakin ka sumumpa na mamahalin mo ako hanggang kamatayan. I was the one you married, pero bakit pinaparamdam mo sakin na ako ang third party?"

Silence fell between the two of them. He was given time to process each word he heard from Anastasiya. It was one of the times where Anastasiya had voiced out her opinions. Each word felt like knives stabbing him in his heart. By the time his gaze diverted to his wife, tears were already threatening to fall from Anastasiya's eyes.

Anastasiya handled it with grace and elegance like he had expected.

"I stayed because i had no choice." She sniffles. "Did you even love me, Alejandro?"

"I did." He confesses as his gaze met hers. Anastasiya looked away from him.

"Bakit hindi ko maramdaman?" She asks.

Alejandro knew that the outcome of their relationship was out of their reach. They had already reached the point of no return. All they have was a broken marriage that no one even them can save. Her eyes spoke for the unspoken pain she was suffering all along.

"Gawin mo gusto mo and i'll do mine. We'll act as if walang nangyari sa harap ng iba lalo na sa magiging anak natin. Hindi na ako manghihimasok if you do not want to let her go." Anastasiya stood up and hung her head low.