Chapter Thirteen

Being cooped up in bed all day was not how Anastasiya wanted to spend her days. With Alejandro back in the Real Audencia for work, the young duchess was left alone in the Casa Ladrillo with servants at her beck and call.

Waiting for her command.

"Nagpadala ang emperatris ng tsaang gawa sa luya. Nakakatulong po ito para mabawasan ang pagsusuka ninyo," Consuela said as she entered the masters suite.

The duchess took the cup of ginger tea carefully and took a whiff of its scent. Was it her nerves that made her paranoid?

Or was it the fact that she could be poisoned in this way?

"Senorita?" Consuela asks as her mistress was not responding. The lady in waiting awaited Anastasiya's response.

The duchess scanned the area in fear of someone may overhear what she is about to ask. She set the cup of ginger tea down her bedside table.

"Anong nangyari sa mga De Balmen?" she asks, speaking in low tones.

The lady in waiting's eyes widened. She crept closer to the duchess and Anastasiya's brows furrowed. Hesitation was clearly seen in Consuela's eyes.

"Ano?" Anastasiya asks impatiently. "Sabihin mo na,"

"Ang ama ko ay isa sa naglilingkod sa mahal na Emperador. Sa mga kwento ng aking ama ay nakagawa ng malaking kasalanan si Conde De Balmen. Ngunit nakapagtataka dahil isa siya sa pinagkakatiwalaan ng mahal na Emperador."

"Sinubukang ibenta ni Conde De Balmen ang imperyong ito sa mga Moro." Dolores' voice rang inside the room as clear as a bell. There was also a look of apprehension on her face as she sat down by the duchess bedside.

"Como estas?(How are you doing?)" Dolores asks as she took the duchess' hand. "Bakit nyo napag usapan ang mga De Balmen?" she asks Consuela who hung her head low. 

The countess figured out it was Anastasiya who asked about it as silence engulfed the room. Dolores chose to change the topic, however.

"Usap usapan ng mga kababaihan ang tungkol sa kalagayan mo. Halos lahat ay nag- aalal-" Anastasiya cut her off.

"Mabuti ang kalagayan ko." she starts. "Ngunit may gusto akong hilingin sa iyo. Makakaasa ba ako sa iyo?"

-------------

To others, Maria Aleta was just a young girl who knew nothing. Being a woman in this family, she is expected to sit still and look pretty.

Tend to the children. Be a proper lady.

But she was definitely not like that. It was indeed that women in this family are quite ambitious. It was no lie.

Countess Dela Cruz was not here to supervise them and just gave them some work to do.

She was working on her essay when Anita appeared right behind her.

"Ano ba, Anita? Huwag ka ngang mangugulat!" she snaps.

"Paumanhin, Binibini..." Anita bows her head low.

"Bakit ka naparito?" Maria Aleta asks.

"Pinapatawag kayo ni Dukesa Maria Contessina sa kanyang silid aklatan."

"Para saan?" Maria Aleta asks curiously but the servant did not give her any response.

She was ushered inside the Casa Byzantina's study. Maria Contessina was at the window, drinking tea.

Maria Aleta scoots closer.

"Mag impake ka na," Maria Contessina said nonchalantly. "Darating ang madre na maghahatid sa iyo sa Colegio de Santa Catalina."