Chapter Twenty Eight

To be the emperor of the country was both a duty and a chore.

Alejandro knew it in himself how dangerous the imperial court was. He had been subjected to the power play of the palace since he was a young child. Being the younger of the two, there were times that he was subjected to be under his brother's shadow. He was not envious of his brother since Alejandro had longed for a quiet life. The former general expected that he and his wife will be supporting his older brother in court.

Yet he became the emperor.

He had vividly remembered how the events played out a few hours after their son's birth. He had been the one to receive the order as Anastasiya had been in bed, resting. Alejandro was clueless of what order his father had given out after the birth of their grandson.

He had not expected that the decree was about him, appointed as the successor of the throne.

"Hindi ba masyadong maaga?" Alejandro asks when he had requested an audience between his mother and father. By this time, Alejandro knew far too well that the news had reached the media. There was no use backing out, as preparations were already made.

"Nabigla kami sa desisyon mo, Ama." Alejandro reasons out yet he knew there was no use in arguing. "
¿Cuál es la prisa? Anastasiya acababa de dar a luz. Déjala descansar un rato y no apresures la coronación. (What is the rush? Anastasiya had just given birth. Let her rest for a while and do not rush the coronation.)"

His primary concern was his wife.

Alejandro knew it in himself that Anastasiya was to be in recovery after birth. What he did not expect was the coronation waill take place in a week's time. His gaze shifted to his mother and he saw the triumphant gaze in her eyes.

All of this was for power after all. He was just merely a tool for power.

Reminded by the events of the past, Alejandro vowed to protect his son from the endless power struggle that he had grown up with. The emperor was bound to protect Anastasiya as well, as he knew that things were starting to take a toll on her. Their relationship was starting to guilt him as days passed.

The words of the Andrada patriarch had him rethink everything he was fighting for.

"I once failed Anastasiya." Alfredo merely states as the two were left at the dinner table. Anastasiya had left to grab the dessert from the kitchen. Silence once filled the two men. "Manatili ka sana sa tabi niya hanggang sa pinaka dulo, mahal na prinsipe."

Alejandro's eyes widened. He had purposely let out the part that he was the prince of the Philippine Empire. The old men looked at him and chuckled.

He had hidden his identity from his wife before in fear of a woman being after his title. Unlike his mother, Alejandro did not want to meddle in the dirty games of the politics of the imperial court. He had fled to the States, and he met Anastasiya.

"Hindi mo na maloloko ang matandang katulad ko, mahal na prinsipe." Alfredo simply tells him. "Siguro naman sasabihin mo kay Anastasiya kung sino ka ba talaga?"

Once finding out that Anastasiya was part of the Andrada clan. He had been worried at that time. Alejandro was well aware of who had delivered the De Balmen's to their horrible death.

Growing up, he was taught that a leader was for the empire, and not for the people.

After Anastasia De Balmen's death, he had grown to care for only but himself. Alejandro could not deny that he had been self centered in order to appease the guilt he felt. The emperor had come to a conclusion that it was better for him to turn out the way he was perceived to be.