Chapter Nine

Alejandro shook the brief memory out of his mind. On his way down the dungeons, he was still trying to process everything. He was at a loss for words.

Out of all the people, he did not expect Anastasiya would be the one behind the painting. He cherished his wife too much that he had turned blind to her actions. It was painful for the general to go through the twists and turns of the palace dungeons. He could vividly remember that fateful day.

"Me atrevo a responder a la pregunta de Su Majestad: Piso.( I dare to reply to His Majesty's question; piso)"

Maria Contessina stared at Anastasiya furiously. Ariella also stared at her sister-in-law who delivered a treacherous answer. Whispers echoed throughout the room about the treacherous answer of the new duchess. Alejandro held no expression as his mother looked at him in disappointment.

Anastasiya's words were considered treacherous to the crown. She did not falter or whatsoever.

"Walang mas hahalaga sa piso sa taong nagugutom at naghihirap. Ang taong siyang sagana sa yaman at pera ay hindi alam ang kahalagahan ng piso. Sa siyang nagugutom at naghihirap, ang siyang mamumuno ng bansa ay ang pisong kaasam asam at kaingat-ingatan na piso."

Anastasiya turned to him.

"Pamunuan mo ang imperyong ito ng isang makatarungang at walang kinikilingang kamay." she smiles.

Alejandro faced his wife as the guard cried out her crime. He stared at her furiously, but he did not know what to feel.

Did he choose the wrong duchess? How is it that she would be his downfall and he would be hers at the same time?

How is it that they shared the same fate?

The general shook his head and dared not to look at his pitiful wife. He could not bear to see the woman he once cherished.

He never expected her to betray him- Anastasiya was far different than that.

"Iwan nyo muna kami," Alejandro commanded, and everyone else fled the room.

Alejandro inched towards his wife, every step becoming heavier. The duchess stared back at him, all could Alejandro see was his helpless wife.

"Kakalagan mo ba ako?" Anastasiya softly asked.

Ian shook his head.

"Kung alam ko lang... Kung alam ko lang na ikaw ang magiging kahinaan ko. Hindi na sana kita pinili."

He clenched his fist in anger and despair.

"Anong sinasabi nila, Alejandro? Bakit nila ako inaakusahang nagtaksil sa imperyong ito?" she looked at him with her haunting brown eyes.

The eyes he would have given into.

"Ikaw ang kaisa-isang babaeng minahal ko. Pinili kita sa kadahilanang alam kong siya ang magiging susi sa aking pagbagsak. Did you do it?"

"Do what?" Anastasiya asked.

Alejandro stepped out and took the painting from the servant. He set it down in front of Anastasiya and saw her reaction. She stiffened at the sight of the forgotten painting.

"We tell no lies in the palace, did you... paint this?" the general asked and Anastasiya shook her head.

The duchess was taken aback by his question and her hands slowly trembled, a habit that she does when she's nervous. Anastasiya stared at him as tears welled up in her eyes.

There she goes again, her eyes betray him once more.

"A-Ako nga..." the queen whispered.

Alejandro inhaled sharply as the duchess confessed her crime. Her words felt like scalding water was splashed onto his skin. The general maintained his stoic expression, but deep down he was hurting. He wanted her to deny it, so she could remain by his side.