Chapter Five

In honor of the 197th  year of the Novales' reign, a grand ball was served among the higher aristocracies. It is no secret that the event was lavishly celebrated. Anastasiya sat in the distance as the lavish balls were not her thing

"May bumabagabag po ba sa isipan nyo, Donya Stasiya?" Consuela asked.

"Huwag mo akong alalahanin, Consuela. Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit napakagara ng pagtitipong ito ngunit hindi ko naman nakikita ang mga pangkaraniwang tao." Anastasiya said as she pried her attention outside the big windows.

Then, multiple gunshots stopped the ball momentarily. The aristocracies whispered to one another.

" Sí, disparos perdidos. ¡Que comience la música! (Aye, stray gunshots. Let the music commence!)"

And everything was back to normal once again. The duchess turned to Consuela once more. Her face was painted with worry.

"Halika, kinakabahan ako sa mga narinig kong ingay kanina" Anastasiya stood up and he lady in waiting trailed after her. They did not notice her absence.

On the way to the main entrance, the pair were met by Lukas, who was in charge of the palace's security.

"Yung mga putok ng baril? Anong nangyari, Kapitan?" Anastasiya asked.

Lukas did not want to be the bearer of bad news in a joyous event held at the palace.

"Tiyak na hindi mo ito kailangang ala- Anastasiya! Bumalik ka dito!" Lukas cried as the duchess bypassed him and trudged towards the lush field in front of the palace. Then the sight made the duchess stop in her tracks.

Hundreds of men lay in the lush land, blood stained the rich grass. The cries of people echoed around the area, pleading to their king.

"Mahal na emperador, maayos na pagtatrabaho at tamang buwis ang tanging hiling namin! Sana mapakinggan nyo ang hiling namin!" One of the standing citizens cried before getting shot by the royal guards.

Tears rolled down the duchess's face upon seeing the people of the country she was plunged into. The guards bowed to her, but the scene of guards shooting the citizens plagued her mind and she stepped back.

She ran as fast as she could just to get away from the scene. Her head throbbed with the gunshots that rang into her vivid memory. She lifted her skirts. She stopped in the middle of the bridge.

A cloaked figure was at the distance.

Anastasiya edged back, and clutched her chest tightly. Adrenaline filled her system as she tried to keep calm. Shadows surrounded the young dutchess. She held onto the marble railing of the bridge, the figure walked closer.

"S-Sino ka? Huwag kang lalapit!" Anastasiya's lips quivered in fear.

The young duchess edged closer in fright. The unexpected happened as she tipped backwards over the railing. Anastasiya let out a shriek before plunging into the water.

The cloaked figure stepped out of the shadows. It was Carlos, he also heard the commotion and was alarmed when Anastasiya bolted running. He decided to follow her and not to frighten her.

He looked over the river, it showed no signs of distress. It remained peaceful. Guilt crept up the older prince's spine. Anastasiya falling into the river gave him a sense of déjà vu.

An event that sounded so familiar, which also happened at the very same spot. Two girls had fallen in the majestic river, which the latter will survive and the former unfortunately did not.

-------------

The royal family crowded the Casa Ladrillo after the young dutchess was brought inside by the captain. Alejandro paced back and forth as the dutchess was checked by a nurse.