Chapter Twenty

"Mabubutas ang sahig sa kakabalik balik mo, Alejandro," Carlos attempted to soothe his younger brother.  Anastasiya's shrill cries filled the halls of Casa Ladrillo, it was a difficult birth as everyone expected. 

"Kuya, huminahon ka muna. Ako'y nakatitiyak na hindi pababayaan ng mga nars ang iyong asawa," Ariella says softly as the first time father sat down with a weary sigh.

It was a tradition that men were not allowed to intervene with the birth of children. The women and men of the court flocked the main palace awaiting the news. The members of the imperial family awaited by the balcony of the second floor.

The guards had found the duchess face down on the rose garden. She had been unconcious at that time and the nurses had been alerted. By the tine the siblings reached Casa Ladrillo, it was reported that the duchess had gone into labor a few weeks earlier than usual.

"Huwag kang mag alala, nakatitiyak tayong ayos lang ang kalagayan ni Anastasiya," Carlos lays a hand on his younger brother's shoulder.

"Tsss, paano ako maniniwala sayo kung ang tanging ginagawa mo lang ng ipinanganak ang mga anak mo ay naglalaro ka lang ng golf?"

Ariella snickers at Carlos' dumfounded face. All they can do is wait for the meantime. The nurses that go in and out of the master's suite made the police general worry even more as she was reported to have a head wound.

Blood was on the waters. Her screams absolutely infuriated Alejandro. Fear was already crawling onto his skin as they awaited the news. 

Not this time. Certainly not on his watch.

"Bakit ayaw nyong pumunta sa palasyo muna?" Maria Contessina inquired as she made her presence known on the balcony.

It was according to customs where the nobility typically waits on the birth of the newest member of the imperial family. They serve as eyewitnesses that there could be no such thing as baby switching.

 Unfortunately, they were kicked out of the Casa Ladrillo when Anastasiya had fainted once with multiple people crowding the master suite.

"Sa kaba ni Alejandro, aba baka pumasok na yan sa kwarto kahit lubos na ipinagbabawal iyon," Carlos teases.

"Huwag mo nang asarin," Maria Contessina whispers wryly.

Ariella looked at his brother in worry. It was obvious that Alejandro was not happy to be kept in the dark of his wife's condition.

"Maiwan ko muna kayo, titingnan ko muna ang kalagayan ni Ate Anastasiya," Ariella says as she excuses herself and enters the room, it was a sight she never wanted to see.

The duchess' hair was plastered onto her forehead. Fatigue had graced the once rosy face of Anastasiya. Blood stained the white sheets of the bed. The expectant woman's gaze traveled to the newcomer.

Ariella walks slowly towards the duchess.

"Ate..." she starts but Anastasiya places her index finger on the infanta's lips.

"Bumalik ka na doon, huwag mong hahayaang masyadong mag alala si Alejandro,"

Anastasiya then lets out a sharp cry of pain. All Ariella could do is watch her sister-in-law's misery. The pain of bringing a potential tool for power, Anastasiya did not know,

What should hurt more? Bringing a child into this world or knowing it will be whisked away from her arms to be such a tool for power struggle in the court?

The door opens revealing a startled Alejandro who shoved past her ladies-in-waiting. He went to her side, kissing her forehead gently. 

"Andito lang ako," he whispers to her.